Is f a scalar multiple of g in Hom(V,F)?

• Thread starter Robert1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: If gis not identically zero, then by definition it has a nonzero kernel and so there exists a vector v in V such that v+K=0. This means that f(v)+K=0, which is what we wanted to show.
Robert1986

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space over the field F. Let Hom(V,F) be the set of all homomorphisms of V into F (this is a pretty standard definition, noting new here.) Now, let f and g be functions in Hom(V,F). If f(v)=0 forces g(v)=0 then g = \lamda f for some \lamda in F.

Homework Equations

No relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since we are talking about mapping stuff to 0, it seems that we should look at the kernel of the transformations. We see that ker(f) is a subset (and hence sub-vector space) of ker(g). By homomorphism theorems, the quotient spaces formed by these kernels are both isomorphic to F, when F is being considered as a Vector Space. So V\ker(f) and V\ker(g) are both 1-D spaces and are isomorphic. So everything in each of the quotient spaces can be written as a multiple of a basis vector, v+ker(f) for V\ker(f) and u+ker(g) for v\ker(g) for some u,v in V. Ok, so since ker(f) in ker(g) it seems that everything in V\ker(f) can be written as a multiple of u+ker(g).

Other than that, I am kind of stuck on this. I need hints or ideas. I think perhaps I have built some sort of mental road block here. This problem is problem 4.4.11 from Topics In Algebra (Hernstein).

Physics news on Phys.org
(note that you've been assuming that both f and g are nonzero)

Two things you don't really seem to have thought about:

By homomorphism theorems, the quotient spaces formed by these kernels are both isomorphic to F
And how does that relate to f and g?

g = \lamda f
That's the same thing as finding a homomorphism F --> F that makes a commutative triangle.

You have confused the order of inclusion in your solution. You have [tex]K(g)\subset K(f)[/tex], where K(g) is the kernel, or nullspace, of the linear functional g (that's how elements in Hom (V,F) are called in the daily life).
Now, notice that the statement is wrong if f is identically zero; so we must assume [tex]f\neq 0 [/tex]. In this case, both K(f),K(g) are of dimension dim(V)-1, therefore [tex]K(g)\subset K(f)[/tex] implies [tex]K(g)=K(f)[/tex]. Therefore, both f and g are determined by their action on some common element [tex]v\in V[/tex]; if [tex]f(v)=\alpha\neq 0,g(v)=\beta\neq 0,\;\text{then}\; g=\lambda f \text{ where }\lambda=\frac {\beta}{\alpha}[/tex].

Hmm. f(v) = 0 implies g(v)=0 , doesn't this mean that Ker(f) \subset Ker(g) since anything that f maps to 0 g also maps to 0? But then we don't know from the problem statement alone that g(v)=0 implies f(v) = 0. Second, I don't think the problem is incorrect inf f is identically 0. All the problem states is that f(v) = 0 implies g(v) = 0 so if f is identically 0, then so is g.

I'm confused about what the rest of what you say, though. I see that the kernels are equal, but I don't get how it follows that g is a multiple of f.

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited:
You are right, I confused the order of inclusion and this also led me to think there is a problem with f=0. Anyway, here is a more rigor version of my proof:
if g is not identically zero, then both kernels are of the same dimension and therefore they are the same space. So, the kernel K=K(g)=K(f) is of dimension n-1. The functions f, g are determined by their values on the one-dimensional quotient space V/K, spanned by, say, v+K for some v in V. Now consider the values of f and g on this generator v ([tex]\alpha,\beta[/tex], like in my previous post) and deduce the linear dependence as I did earlier.

If g=0, then the statement holds for [tex]/lambda=0[/tex].

Last edited:

What is a function in Hom(V,F)?

A function in Hom(V,F) is a linear transformation that maps vectors from a vector space V to a field F. It takes in a vector and produces a scalar value as the output.

What is the difference between Hom(V,F) and Hom(F,V)?

The difference between Hom(V,F) and Hom(F,V) is the order of the spaces. In Hom(V,F), the vector space is the domain and the field is the codomain. In Hom(F,V), the field is the domain and the vector space is the codomain. This affects the type of functions that can be defined in each space.

Can a function in Hom(V,F) be non-linear?

No, a function in Hom(V,F) must be linear by definition. This means that it follows the properties of linearity, such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication.

What are some common examples of functions in Hom(V,F)?

Some common examples of functions in Hom(V,F) include matrix transformations, such as rotations, reflections, and scaling, as well as differential operators in calculus, such as the gradient, divergence, and curl.

How are functions in Hom(V,F) used in real-world applications?

Functions in Hom(V,F) have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and analyze physical systems, manipulate data, and create visual effects. For example, in computer graphics, functions in Hom(V,F) are used to transform 3D objects and render them on a 2D screen.