1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions proof

1. Sep 18, 2004 #1
    Hi

let f be a function from set A into X, and Y,Z c X. Prove the following

f^-1(YandZ)=f^-1(Y)andf^-1(Z);

any tips would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2004 #2
    When you need to prove that two sets are equal, [LATEX]A = B[/LATEX], as in your problem the simplest trick you can use is to show that any [LATEX]a \in A[/LATEX] is also an element of B and viceversa.

4. Sep 19, 2004 #3
    I'm really confused with how to do it with function inverses, thanks for the help i'll try to figure it out

5. Sep 19, 2004 #4
    I think you mean that f is a one-to one function from A to X. Is that what you mean by "into"? Also, I think you mean that Y and Z are both subsets of X. Stop me if I'm wrong.

Let x∈f^-1(Y ^ Z). We wish to show that x∈f^-1(Y)&f^-1(Z). Then once we do that, we wish to start by letting x be in f^-1(Y)&f^-1(Z) and show that that implies x∈f^-1(Y ^ Z).

This is what the last poster was writing about.

Now the thing to remember is that x∈f^-1(U) if and only if f(x)∈U.

6. Sep 19, 2004 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think he does not mean the function is one to one, but "and" seems to mean intersection. and f^(-1) just means preimage.

then this is a corolalary of the usual tautological fact that pullback or inverse image of sets is a boolean homomorphism, i.e. preserves both intersections and unions.

7. Sep 19, 2004 #6
    Hey thanks for youe help I got it now. It's actually really easy thankyou very much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?