1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions questions

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://tinyurl.com/ylor68h

I'm having trouble with questions 3, 4, 8, 9 & 10.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For 3 I got
    (b-dx)/(cx-a)
    as the inverse and

[itex] \frac{(x(bc-ad))}{(acx + bc + cdx + d^2)}[/itex]

as the composed function. The bc - ad is there but it's on top of the fraction rather than the bottom so it would not cause the inverse to be undefined.

For 4 I drew the graphs but I can't express f(x) as a single equation.

I got
    f(x) = H(x)*a(x) + something
    but I don't know what what something is.

Can we do number 8 without using a calculator to find the value of x? And what does it mean that it wants all solutions -- aren't there infinitely many? I've solved the quadratics but I don't know how to get values of x without using a calculator and I don't see what it means by all solutions.

For number 9 I managed to get the double angle formulas, but I have no idea how to get sinA + sinB and cosA + cosB.

For number 10 I managed to put tan x in terms of t but I can't do it for sinx and cosx. I think that I just need a push in the right direction for this one.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You'd probably get a faster response by not bundling so many questions in one post.
    This is what I got for the inverse, also.
    In the line above, the numerator is fine, but the denominator isn't. You should have a couple of terms that cancel.
    What does the graph of y = H(-x) look like? Think of it as a reflection across one of the axes.
    For 8a, presumably you've already turned the equation into a quadratic-in-form in cosx. The equation you get can be factored, so you'll have one equation with cosx = some number, and another equation cosx = another number. One equation can be solved without a calculator, but the other one can't, so you have to write x as cos-1(something).

These equations give you one or two solutions in the interval [0, 2pi]. For all solutions (and, yes, there are an infinite number) you'll need to add integer multiples of 2pi.

I think 8b can be solved in a similar manner.
    For 9, nothing comes immediately to mind. You might try posting it in a separate thread.
    Draw a right triangle with base 2 and altitude x, with angle t opposite the side of length x. Then t = tan(x/2), so x/2 = tan-1(t), or x = 2tan-1(t).

Now calculate sin(x) and cos(x) using the relationship between t and x in the triangle you drew. You'll also need the double angle formulas for sine and cosine.

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    Thank you. I will try those things. Drawing a triangle for the last one seems like a good idea.

I thought of that but are we allowed to use H(-x)? The question says that it should be in terms of a(x), b(x) and H(x).

Doing that, won't you get tan t = x/2 hence t = arctan (x/2)? I managed to get the right answer anyway, thanks to your hint of drawing a right triangle. It has base 1, height t and angle x/2 opposite the side with length t.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure using H(-x) would be allowed. It's just the reflection of the graph of y = H(x) across the y-axis.
    No, tan t = tan(tan(x/2)) != arctan(x/2)
    The substitution was to let t = tan(x/2), so x/2 = tan-1(t), so x = 2tan-1(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook