What is the difference between range and codomain in a function?

In summary, the range and codomain of a function is the subset of the domain that the function actually maps something onto.
danago
Gold Member
Hi. This isn't directly a homework question, but it will help in general.

Im having a little trouble understanding what the difference between a range and codomain is. For example, for the function [tex]f(x) = \frac{3}{{2x - 2}}[/tex], i understand that the domain is [tex]\{ x \in R:x \ne 1\}[/tex]. Now, i also believe that the possible values that can be outputted by the function is given by
[tex]
\{ f(x) \in R:f(x) \ne 0\}
[/tex]. Is this the codomain or range?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
The range/codomain is the image of the domain through the function

[tex] \mbox{Ran}(f(x)):=\left\{ f(x)\left|\right x\in D(f(x)) \right\} [/tex]

In your case, first make a plot of the function first.

danago said:
Hi. This isn't directly a homework question, but it will help in general.

Im having a little trouble understanding what the difference between a range and codomain is. For example, for the function [tex]f(x) = \frac{3}{{2x - 2}}[/tex], i understand that the domain is [tex]\{ x \in R:x \ne 1\}[/tex]. Now, i also believe that the possible values that can be outputted by the function is given by
[tex]
\{ f(x) \in R:f(x) \ne 0\}
[/tex]. Is this the codomain or range?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.
that is the range of the function. codomain is usually a superset (sometimes equal as well) of the range. its generally defined in the question itself, like f:R-->R (here both domain and codomain are the set of real nos.),but range will be a subset(or an equal set) of R depending upon the function definition.

According to Wikipedia, the "codomain" of a function f:X-> Y is the set Y. The "range" is the subset of Y that f actually maps something onto.

For example, if f:R->R is defined by f(x)= ex, then the "codomain" is R but the "range" is the set, R+, of all positive real numbers.

Notice that you cannot tell the "codomain" of a function just from its "formula". I could just as easily define f:R->R+, with f(x)= ex. Now the codomain and domain would be the same.

HallsofIvy said:
Notice that you cannot tell the "codomain" of a function just from its "formula". I could just as easily define f:R->R+, with f(x)= ex. Now the codomain and domain would be the same.

I have a doubt, I think we also cannot tell what the "domain" is just from the "formula" . We can say what it "is not" but we can't say what it "is".

for instance we can define a function as f:[1,2]->R , with f(x) = ex . here "domain" is what we define(i.e [1,2]) ,"co-domain" is what we define(i.e R) , but "range" is obtained from the formula, which in this case would be [e,e^2]

but the formula definitely can tell us what domain is not.
ex :- f(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] we can't say domain is R. we have to define domain as R[tex]^{+}[/tex] or it's subsets.

1. What is the difference between range and codomain?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values, while the codomain is the set of all possible input values. In other words, the range is the actual values that the function produces, while the codomain is the set of values that the function can take as input.

2. Why is it important to distinguish between range and codomain?

It is important to distinguish between range and codomain because they represent different aspects of a function. The range tells us the actual values that the function can produce, while the codomain tells us the set of values that the function can take as input. Understanding this difference can help us properly define and interpret functions.

3. Can the range and codomain of a function be the same?

Yes, the range and codomain of a function can be the same. In this case, all of the possible input values have corresponding output values.

4. How is the range of a function determined?

The range of a function can be determined by finding all of the possible output values for the function. This can be done by evaluating the function for various inputs, or by using mathematical techniques such as finding the maximum and minimum values of the function.

5. Why is the range sometimes smaller than the codomain?

The range can be smaller than the codomain because not all of the possible input values may have corresponding output values. This is known as a "partial function" and can occur when certain inputs are undefined or do not produce an output.