Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fund me, maybe?

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    I thought this was worth sharing, filmed at an AAS conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvajOQ_xak

Both hilarious and a little sad.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I'm working on a grant application with a deadline of midnight tonight. That hit home! Hard! Ouch! :yuck:

Thanks for sharing.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    Best of luck.

Just finished filing for a bunch of post-bachelors research scholarships/apps myself, I really should get back to revising for finals!

Nice to see there's a human side to the cutthroat world of science funding

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4
    NASA has obtained $500bn of public money over their ~50 year run, which is less than the US financial sector payout that was negotiated in less than a year and didn't produce anything more tangible than what NASA produced.

If they can do it, so can you!

*sigh*

6. Apr 11, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's hysterical. Thanks for finding it, Lavabug!

Zz.

7. Apr 11, 2013 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Just last night I was reading in the latest Physics Today, an article about people using crowdsourcing sites to try to get some money for their research projects.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  8. Apr 11, 2013 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The people in the US High Energy Physics may have to do that, or even a bake sale, if the current funding plan for the next fiscal year comes true.

HEP in the US is really under severe stress for the past few years. And students who are thinking about going into this field need to be aware of this trend that appears to not be changing anytime soon.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook