Fundamental Counting Principle problem

In summary: Warren I think you may have misunderstood the problem.In summary, the conversation discusses the number of combinations possible for a 3 number combination lock with numbers from 0 to 59 on its dial. It is determined that there are 114 possible combinations for the first two numbers, and then that number is multiplied by 60 to get a total of 6840 possible three digit combinations. The discussion also clarifies that the first and second numbers can differ by 3 in either direction, including going "over the top" from 59 to 0.
PiRsq
The dial on a 3 number combination lock contains markings to represent the numbers from 0 to 59. How many combinations are possible if the first and second numbers differ by 3?

What I did was:

1st number: It can be any of the 60 numbers (if we take 0 also as a #)
2nd number: I think since there are two possibilities, either 3 greater than 1st # or 3 less
3rd number: Since you've already take a number for the first one, and you must choose either of 3 less or 3 greater than the first number as the 2nd #, you must in the end have 57 #'s left to choose from

Therefore the answer I think is 60 x 2 x 57

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. If the first number is 57, 58 or 59, then the next number CAN'T be "3 larger" but only 3 less. If the first number is 0, 1, or 2, the next number CAN'T be "3 less but only 3 more.
That is, if the first number is 3 to 56 (54 numbers) then there are 2 possible second number but if the first number is 0, 1, 2, 57, 58, or 59, then there is only 1 possible second number. There are 54*2+ 3+ 3= 114 possible two digit combinations for the first two numbers. There are 114*60= 6840 such three digit combinations.

Halls,

While he didn't explicity state it, I would think that you can go "over the top" and consider 59 and 2 to differ by 3.

Pi,

I think you're almost correct. However, if you choose one of 60 numbers, then choose one of the 59 remaining, there are 58 left -- NOT 57.

- Warren

Thanks for the replies guys. Hall I don't understand why you did 54*2 and added 6

1. What is the Fundamental Counting Principle?

The Fundamental Counting Principle is a mathematical concept that allows you to calculate the total number of outcomes in a probability experiment by multiplying the number of choices for each event. It is commonly used to solve problems involving combinations and permutations.

2. What types of problems can be solved using the Fundamental Counting Principle?

The Fundamental Counting Principle can be used to solve problems involving independent events, where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other. It can also be used to solve problems involving combinations and permutations, such as arranging objects in a certain order or selecting a subset of objects from a larger group.

3. How do I use the Fundamental Counting Principle to solve a problem?

To use the Fundamental Counting Principle, you need to identify the number of choices for each event in the problem. Then, you can multiply these numbers together to find the total number of outcomes. It is important to make sure that the events are independent and that the choices are distinct and not repeated.

4. Can the Fundamental Counting Principle be used for non-mathematical problems?

Yes, the Fundamental Counting Principle can be applied to a wide range of problems, not just mathematical ones. It can be used to solve problems in various fields such as economics, biology, and computer science. For example, it can be used to calculate the number of possible genetic combinations in offspring or the number of possible password combinations.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the Fundamental Counting Principle?

One of the most common mistakes when using the Fundamental Counting Principle is forgetting to account for repeated choices or overlapping events. It is also important to make sure that the events are truly independent and that all choices are distinct. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the multiplication rule, which states that the total number of outcomes is the product of the number of choices for each event.