Fundamental Frequencies of Noble Metals

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in determining the fundamental frequencies of noble metals such as silver, gold, and platinum. They explain that they were asked by their boss and have limited knowledge on the subject. They also mention that they are not familiar with the term "fundamental frequencies" and suggest it may be related to optical response functions. They ask for clarification and suggest the speaker also ask their boss for more information.
Sevo
Hello,
I need to know the fundamental frequencies of the noble metals "silver, gold, platinum ... etc" .. thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how have you gone about finding them? Is this a homework question?

And can you explain in more words what you mean by "fundamental frequencies"? I don't think I've ever seen that phrase used in connection with substances (gold, silver, etc.). The first things that come to my mind are vibrating strings and musical instruments.

If English is not your native language, phrases that you're familiar with (in your native language) may seem strange to English-speakers when you translate them word for word.

i was asked by my boss to get him the fundamental freq. of the noble elements and my knowlendge is very limited and i never heard of the term .. so i thought i can can ask physics experts about it please help me

Sevo said:
i was asked by my boss to get him the fundamental freq. of the noble elements and my knowlendge is very limited and i never heard of the term .. so i thought i can can ask physics experts about it please help me

But if you are not familiar with these concepts then why did you not ask for more clarification to your boss ? Ask him what exactly he means.

Anyways, i did not know this concept as well but i gues he is asking for some optical response function , etc etc ...

marlon

1. What are noble metals?

Noble metals are a group of chemical elements that are resistant to corrosion and oxidation, making them highly valuable for industrial and scientific purposes. The six noble metals are gold, silver, platinum, palladium, iridium, and rhodium.

2. What are fundamental frequencies?

Fundamental frequencies refer to the natural resonant frequencies of an object, which are determined by its physical properties. In the case of noble metals, these frequencies correspond to the vibrations of the metal's atoms in response to external stimuli, such as light or heat.

3. How do fundamental frequencies of noble metals affect their properties?

The fundamental frequencies of noble metals play a crucial role in determining their physical and chemical properties. For example, gold's unique color and malleability can be attributed to its specific fundamental frequency, which allows it to absorb and reflect light in a certain way.

4. Can fundamental frequencies of noble metals be altered?

While the fundamental frequencies of noble metals are largely determined by their atomic structure, they can be altered under extreme conditions such as high pressure or temperature. This can result in changes to their properties, making them useful in various applications, such as in catalysis or electronics.

5. How are fundamental frequencies of noble metals measured?

Fundamental frequencies of noble metals can be measured using techniques such as Raman spectroscopy or infrared spectroscopy, which involve shining light on the metal and analyzing the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or reflected. These measurements can provide valuable information about the metal's physical structure and properties.