Find Fundamental Frequency of Vibrating Mylar Membrane

In summary, the speaker builder is looking for the fundamental frequency of a vibrating membrane made of Mylar, with a thickness of 5 microns and a young's modulus of 4 GPA. They are asking for the group of equations that define modes of vibrations in elastic membranes, specifically for a rectangular membrane with fixed rim conditions. The equations involve tension, elasticity, and air damping due to drag/viscosity, and the lowest frequency can be calculated using the speed of sound in the material and the dimensions of the membrane.
FrankCashio
Alright I've been going crazy with this problem. I'm building an electrostatic loudspeaker. In order to get it right I need to find the Fundamental frequency of the vibrating membrane.

This membrane will be of an elastic substance, Mylar. Approx. 5 microns think with a young's modulus of about 4 GPA.

How do you go about solving a problem like this?

I know the solution will have tension, elasticity in the equation. I guess what I'm really asking is what are the group of equations defining modes of vibrations in elastic membranes. I know it will be in the form of a simple harmonic motion

f= 1/2 PI * SQRT(k/m) but there is nothing in that equation relating the restoring force of the membrane due to it's elasticity nor the effects of Air damping it due to drag/viscosity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a circular membrane with fixed rim the frequencies for resonance are given by
f_nm=j_nm*c/(2PI R)
where R is the radius of the membrane and j_nm are the zeroes of the Bessel function of first order.
The lowest value for j_nm in my table is 2.4
So this will give the lowest frequency.
You still need the speed of sound in your material (c).

Oh sorry it would be a rectangle.

For rectangular, with same fixed rim conditions,
f_nm=(c/2)*[(n/Lx)^2+(m/Ly)^2]^(1/2)
(you take square root from the straight bracket)

Fundamental freq is for n=m=1
Lx,Ly - dimensions of the membrane

What is the fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane?

The fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane is the lowest frequency at which the membrane can vibrate and produce a distinct sound or tone. It is also known as the first harmonic frequency.

How is the fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane calculated?

The fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane can be calculated by dividing the speed of sound in air by twice the length of the membrane. This is known as the formula for the fundamental frequency, f = v/2L, where v is the speed of sound and L is the length of the membrane.

What factors can affect the fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane?

The fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane can be affected by several factors such as the tension of the membrane, the size and shape of the membrane, and the material of the membrane. The tighter the membrane, the higher the fundamental frequency, and vice versa.

Why is it important to find the fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane?

Finding the fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane is important because it is the basis for all other harmonics and frequencies produced by the membrane. It also helps in understanding the physical properties and behavior of the membrane, which can be useful in various applications such as musical instruments and speakers.

How can the fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane be measured?

The fundamental frequency of a vibrating Mylar membrane can be measured using a variety of methods such as using a frequency meter, a stroboscope, or a tuner. These methods involve measuring the frequency of the sound produced by the membrane and then using the formula to calculate the fundamental frequency.