1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Frequency

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    Alright I've been going crazy with this problem. I'm building an electrostatic loudspeaker. In order to get it right I need to find the Fundamental frequency of the vibrating membrane.

This membrane will be of an elastic substance, Mylar. Approx. 5 microns think with a young's modulus of about 4 GPA.

How do you go about solving a problem like this?

I know the solution will have tension, elasticity in the equation. I guess what I'm really asking is what are the group of equations defining modes of vibrations in elastic membranes. I know it will be in the form of a simple harmonic motion

f= 1/2 PI * SQRT(k/m)

but there is nothing in that equation relating the restoring force of the membrane due to it's elasticity nor the effects of Air damping it due to drag/viscosity.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2
    For a circular membrane with fixed rim the frequencies for resonance are given by
    f_nm=j_nm*c/(2PI R)
    where R is the radius of the membrane and j_nm are the zeroes of the Bessel function of first order.
    The lowest value for j_nm in my table is 2.4
    So this will give the lowest frequency.
    You still need the speed of sound in your material (c).

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3
    Oh sorry it would be a rectangle.

5. Jul 24, 2009 #4
    For rectangular, with same fixed rim conditions,
    f_nm=(c/2)*[(n/Lx)^2+(m/Ly)^2]^(1/2)
    (you take square root from the straight bracket)

Fundamental freq is for n=m=1
    Lx,Ly - dimensions of the membrane

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook