What is the fundamental identity used to prove csc2α - 1 = cos2α / csc2α?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Pythagorean Identities to prove the given statement csc2\alpha-1 = cos2\alpha/csc2\alpha. The first step is to divide the numerator on the left side by the denominator. The person being asked to solve the problem is reminded that they have to prove the statement, not just solve it. They are also given the reminder that csc(alpha)=1/sin(alpha).
SkiingAlta

Homework Statement

Okay, so this is some trig I learned last year but have since forgotten. If you can give me the first step, I can solve the rest on my own. The given statement is true and you have to prove why using Pythagorean Identities.

csc2[tex]\alpha[/tex]-1 = cos2[tex]\alpha[/tex]
________
csc2[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to just divide the numerator on the left side by the denominator. Try it and you will see how it makes sense.

You are a little wrong there. I don't have to prove it. YOU have to prove it. csc(alpha)=1/sin(alpha). Just try it. Ok?

1. What are fundamental identities?

Fundamental identities are mathematical equations that express the relationship between trigonometric functions. They are considered fundamental because they form the basis of many other trigonometric equations and are essential for solving trigonometric problems.

2. What are the most commonly used fundamental identities?

The most commonly used fundamental identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

3. How are fundamental identities derived?

Fundamental identities are derived from the unit circle, which is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. By using the relationships between the coordinates of points on the unit circle, the fundamental identities can be derived.

4. Why are fundamental identities important in trigonometry?

Fundamental identities are important because they allow us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions, solve trigonometric equations, and prove other trigonometric identities. They are also used in various applications such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

5. How can I memorize all the fundamental identities?

Memorizing all the fundamental identities can be challenging, but with practice and repetition, it can be achieved. It is helpful to group them by type and understand the patterns and relationships between them. Also, using mnemonic devices or creating flashcards can aid in memorization.