Find Fundamental Matrix for Variable Coefficient System

In summary, the book is not clear on how to find the fundamental matrix when the system has variable coefficients. However, Wikipedia says that if the system is diagonal, we can just integrate the coefficients matrix to find the fundamental matrix.
Physics_wiz
I want to find the fundamental matrix for the following system:

[tex]\dotx = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1/t&0\\0&1/t\end{array}\right)x + \left(\begin{array}{rr}1&1\end{array}\right)u[/tex]

[tex]y = (1, 1)x[/tex]

There's supposed to be an x' before the first equal sign but I can't get it to work for some reason. Also, all variables are matrices of appropriate dimensions.

now, the book isn't clear on how to do this when the system has variable coefficients like the one above. Wikipedia says that if the system is diagonal, we can just integrate the coefficients matrix to find the fundamental matrix. However, the professor mentioned something in class about putting unknown functions of t in the fundamental matrix then using this property:

d/dt(fundamental matrix) = A(t) * fundamental matrix

to find those functions. A(t) is the coefficients matrix. I get different solutions when I do it the wikipedia method and when I do it the professor's way. The thing is, I'm not sure if this is exactly what the professor said because he just mentioned it between the words and I didn't get a chance to write it down. Any hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need a space between "\dot" and "x" so the LaTex recognizes the "\dot" command. However, that would just put the dot in front of the x, not above it. Just "x'" is sufficient.

Letting x= <u, v>, the differential equation is equivalent to the two equations
u'= (1/t) u and v'= (1/t)v. Can you find u and v?

HallsofIvy said:
You need a space between "\dot" and "x" so the LaTex recognizes the "\dot" command. However, that would just put the dot in front of the x, not above it. Just "x'" is sufficient.

Letting x= <u, v>, the differential equation is equivalent to the two equations
u'= (1/t) u and v'= (1/t)v. Can you find u and v?

Yes, I can easily solve this system of equations. The method asked us to solve it using the fundamental matrix though. I figured out how to do it...I can post the answer if anyone's interested.

Physics_wiz said:
Yes, I can easily solve this system of equations. The method asked us to solve it using the fundamental matrix though. I figured out how to do it...I can post the answer if anyone's interested.

could you show me how to solve it thru fundamental matrix?

What is a fundamental matrix for a variable coefficient system?

A fundamental matrix for a variable coefficient system is a matrix that contains a set of linearly independent solutions to a system of differential equations with variable coefficients. It is used to solve initial value problems for these types of systems.

How is a fundamental matrix calculated?

A fundamental matrix for a variable coefficient system can be calculated by using the method of variation of parameters. This involves finding a set of particular solutions to the system of equations and then combining them into a matrix. The matrix is then inverted to obtain the fundamental matrix.

Why is a fundamental matrix important in solving variable coefficient systems?

A fundamental matrix is important because it allows us to solve initial value problems for variable coefficient systems. It provides a general solution to the system of equations, which can then be used to find specific solutions for different initial conditions.

What are the advantages of using a fundamental matrix over other methods of solving variable coefficient systems?

The fundamental matrix method is advantageous because it provides a general solution to the system of equations, rather than just a specific solution for a particular initial condition. This makes it more versatile and useful in solving a wide range of problems.

Can a fundamental matrix be used for systems with constant coefficients?

Yes, a fundamental matrix can also be used for systems with constant coefficients. In this case, the matrix will only contain exponential functions as solutions, rather than a mixture of exponential and polynomial functions for systems with variable coefficients.