Proving Periodicity for a Function with Two Elements and a Constant Period

In summary, the problem states that the function f(t) is defined as 1+kt for 0<t<1 and 1 for 1<t<2, and that f(t+2) = f(t) for all values of t. The goal is to prove that if k is not equal to zero, the fundamental period of f is 2. This can be done by showing that the function is periodic with period 2, using the definition of a periodic function, except when k = 0. However, the given information does not fully define the function and there may be some issues with the problem as stated.
darkmagic

Homework Statement

The elements of f(t) are 1+kt and t here are 0<t<1
the other element is 1 and t here are 1<t<2.

f(t+2)=f(t)

prove if k is not equal to zero, the period f is 2.

i know the graph of element 1 but how should I graph the other element with k.
Based from the graph, the period is 2.

How should I prove that using mathematical statement?

Homework Equations

The problem is all about fundamental period

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "elements of f(t)"?
I don't have any idea of what you saying here:
darkmagic said:
The elements of f(t) are 1+kt and t here are 0<t<1
the other element is 1 and t here are 1<t<2.

Are you saying that f(t) = 1 + kt, if 0 < t < 1, and f(t) = 1, if 1 < t < 2?
Is f(t + 2) = f(t) given, or is that what you're trying to prove?

thats what i am saying. f(t+2) =f(t) is given. what I am trying to prove is that if k is not equal to zero, the period f is 2.
how i should i plot the 1+kt?

Last edited:
Well, you don't know k, other than it isn't zero, so you have a line segment with pos. slope if k > 0, and neg. slope if k < 0. It doesn't really matter whether it slopes up or down, just so long as the line isn't horizontal.

ok so how I prove by mathematical statement that the period f is 2? can this be
or it can only be proved by graph?

A function is periodic with period p iff f(x + p) = f(x) for all x. (See the definition on this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_function.)

So the information that you tell me is given would seem to do the trick except when k = 0. In that case, f(x) = 1 at most points, which would imply that the period was smaller than 2. I say "at most points" because from the information in your post, f(x) is not defined at x = 0, x = 1, and x = 2.

Are you sure you have posted the problem exactly the way it reads? It bothers me that f isn't defined at 0, 1, and 2, and it also bothers me that you are given that f(t + 2) = f(t), since that's essentially what you need to prove.

1. What is the fundamental period in a graph?

The fundamental period in a graph refers to the smallest interval of time or distance in which a repeating pattern of a function or graph occurs. It is the length of one complete cycle of the graph.

2. How is the fundamental period calculated?

The fundamental period is calculated by finding the smallest positive value of x that satisfies the equation f(x) = f(x + T), where T represents the fundamental period.

3. Can the fundamental period be negative?

No, the fundamental period cannot be negative. It represents the smallest positive interval in which the graph repeats itself.

4. What is the relationship between the fundamental period and the frequency of a graph?

The fundamental period and the frequency of a graph are inversely related. The frequency is equal to the reciprocal of the fundamental period, or f = 1/T.

5. How does the fundamental period affect the shape of a graph?

The fundamental period affects the shape of a graph by determining the frequency and the rate at which the graph repeats itself. A shorter fundamental period results in a higher frequency and more frequent repetitions, while a longer fundamental period leads to a lower frequency and less frequent repetitions.