1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Problems and Possible Answers

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    One thing that has always bothered me about Theoretical Physics is that these theories aren't always logical. However, I have been thinking for a while about some problems and think that I may have at least some reasoning as to what is happening and would like to know if anyone else has any opinion on my thoughts. Good or otherwise.

First of all, I was perplexed by the idea of "Dark Energy". The theory suggests that the reason the expansion of the universe is accelerating is because of some mysterious force that comes from nowhere. When I thought about this dark energy, I came to realize that it is almost exactly like gravity. Much like objects moving faster toward each other the closer they are, they move faster away from each other the further they are. This made me think of Newton's third law of every action has a reaction, suggesting that dark energy is the repulsive reaction to the attractiveness of gravity. My reasoning behind this is that matter is compressing the space-time around it, creating the effect of gravity, while decompressing the space-time further away from it, creating what we call dark energy.

Secondly, I was also thinking about the theory of Inflation regarding the uniformity of temperature across the universe. The universe seems too big for the energy of the Big Bang to have distributed so evenly at the rate it is expanding. This is a definite problem if the universe is as big as we say it is. As far as I can tell, the age and size of the universe was determined by measuring the distance from far away stars to Earth. However, I do not see how it is possible to determine the size of the universe when we do not know where the center is. Since everything is moving away from everything else, it is impossible to tell whether or not something is on the other side of the center of the universe. For example, we may look at a star and say it is 13 billion light years away; it may be at the center of the universe, or the center may be directly in between us. I think it is a definite possibility that the size over the universe is being mistakenly overestimated, and that the most distant stars aren't actually toward the center of the universe but on the other side.

Another thing that bothered me was the idea that black holes are infinitely dense. Not only is infinity an impossible number to reach, but if it were infinitely dense, shouldn't it break space-time and gobble up all matter? It seems to me that black holes are actually just dense enough so that their gravity can bend space until there is a point where light is stuck. At this point, light traveling along this bent space-time will travel around in circles until it runs out of energy or collides with something.

Finally, please post any opinions/questions/answers. If something was confusing I can try to clarify a little bit. Hopefully we can figure some things out :>

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted