Fundamental set of solutions

In summary, to find the fundamental set of solutions to the given system of differential equations, we can use Jordan Canonical Form by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A and then using them to form the matrix P. We then find the inverse of P and use it to find the fundamental set of solutions. In this case, the fundamental set of solutions is y1 = e^{2t} and y2 = 0.
mbsl5

Homework Statement

Find a fundamental set of solutions to the system of differential equations:

y1' = 3*y1 - y2

y2' = y1 + y2

by reducing the problem to Jordan Canonical Form.

Homework Equations

y' = Ay
J = P[tex]^{-1}[/tex]AP

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the following:

(1) y' = Ay implies
A =
3 -1
1 1

(2) lamda (eigenvalue) = 2 with multiplicity 2

(3) So I believe
J (JCF) =
2 1
0 2

and P =
1 1
1 0

so that J = P[tex]^{-1}[/tex]AP

Now I'm stuck. How do I use this to produce the fundamental set of solutions? Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! To find the fundamental set of solutions, we can use the following steps:

1. Find the eigenvalues of A by solving the characteristic equation det(A - lambda*I) = 0. In this case, we have lambda = 2 with multiplicity 2.

2. For each eigenvalue, find the corresponding eigenvector by solving the system (A - lambda*I)x = 0. In this case, we have two eigenvectors: (1, 1) and (-1, 0).

3. Use these eigenvectors to form the matrix P = [x1 x2], where x1 and x2 are the eigenvectors from step 2.

4. Find the inverse of P, P^{-1}.

5. Finally, the fundamental set of solutions is given by e^{lambda*t}*P*P^{-1}, where lambda is the eigenvalue and P*P^{-1} is the inverse of P. In this case, our fundamental set of solutions would be:

y1 = e^{2t}*[1 1]*[1 -1] = e^{2t}

y2 = e^{2t}*[1 1]*[0 0] = 0

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your work!

1. What is a fundamental set of solutions?

A fundamental set of solutions refers to a set of linearly independent solutions to a differential equation. These solutions form a basis for the solution space of the equation, meaning that any other solution can be written as a linear combination of these fundamental solutions.

2. How is a fundamental set of solutions determined?

The process of finding a fundamental set of solutions depends on the type of differential equation. For linear equations, the solutions are typically found by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. For nonlinear equations, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find the solutions.

3. Why is a fundamental set of solutions important?

A fundamental set of solutions is important because it allows us to fully characterize the solution space of a differential equation. It also provides a way to find specific solutions to the equation by using the fundamental solutions as a basis.

4. Can a fundamental set of solutions be used for any type of differential equation?

No, a fundamental set of solutions can only be used for linear differential equations. Nonlinear equations do not have a fundamental set of solutions, but may have a fundamental matrix of solutions which serves a similar purpose.

5. How is a fundamental set of solutions applied in real-world scenarios?

Fundamental sets of solutions are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and solve real-world problems. They can be used to describe the behavior of systems in physics, predict population growth in biology, or analyze economic trends in finance, among other applications.