Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the conversation covers various topics in calculus including the use of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, integration by substitution, and average value over an interval. The participants discuss and solve several integrals, including one involving ln x / x, with the help of u-substitution and other techniques. They also touch upon the concept of marginal cost and how it relates to finding changes in cost.
courtrigrad
Could you check whether I am doing these questions right:

1. [itex] \int_{0}^{4} (2+x) dx [/itex]. So I use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus [itex] F(b)-F(a)[/itex] and receive: [itex] \frac{(x+2)^{2}}{2} = F(4) - F(0) = 16 [/itex]

2. [itex] \int_{-1}^{1} (4t^{3} - 2t) dt = t^{4} - t^{2} = F(b)-F(a) = 0 [/itex]

3. [itex] \int_{0}^{3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x}} dx = \frac{-1}{2}(1+x)^\frac{-3}{2} = F(b) - F(a) = \frac{7}{16} [/itex]

4. [itex] \int_{1}^{2}(\frac{1}{x^{2}} - \frac{1}{x^{3}}dx = \frac{x^{-1}}{-1} - \frac{x^{-2}}{-2} = F(b) - F(a) = \frac{1}{8}[/itex]
5. How would you do this one: [itex] \frac{3+ \ln x}{x} dx [/itex]?
6. [itex] \int^{1}_{-1} 3xe^{x^{2} -1} dx [/itex] Also how would I set this up? Would I let [itex] u = x^{2} - 1 [/itex]?

If the marginal cost is [itex] \frac{dC}{dx} = 675 + 0.5x [/itex] how would C change when [itex] x [/itex] increases from 50 to 51? So [itex] C = 675x + \frac{1}{4} x^{2} [/itex]. So would I just compute [itex] F(51) - F(50) [/itex]?

If you want to find the average value of [itex] f(x) = \frac{4}{\sqrt{x-1}}, [5,10] [/itex] would you use the formula [itex] \frac{1}{b-a}f'(x) [/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. correct
2.correct
3. I am not sure you integral is right. You might have mixed up derivarives with integration.

You tell me the rest.

Regards,

Nenad

evertyhing is good until you get to the ln x / x one
i don't know of any method to do it, i simply stared at this one and came up with (ln x)^2 / 2

and finally once again i stared keep the three out of it. Observe a chain rule that brought the x out in fdront since e always stays there anyway... Divide by that number in order to cancel its effect

[tex]\int \frac{\ln{x}}{x}dx[/tex]

can be evaluated with a simple u-substitution. Let u = ln(x), then du = dx/x, and the integral is [itex]\int u du[/itex].

I'd be careful with your notation. The antiderivative does not equal F(b) - F(a), so statements like [itex]\int_{-1}^{1} (4t^{3} - 2t) dt = t^{4} - t^{2} = F(b)-F(a)[/itex] are simply not correct. [itex]F(t) = t^4 - t^2[/itex] and [itex]\int_{-1}^{1} (4t^{3} - 2t) dt = F(1) - F(-1)[/itex] are both true.

--J

how do you find the average value?

The concept of "average" you're familiar with is most likely to add up the values of all your elements, and then divide by the number of elements. For continuous functions, "add up" is replaced by "integrate" and "number of elements" is replaced by "size of the interval", so your formula should look something like

[tex]\frac{1}{b - a}\int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex]

--J

can you please show your steps for number 3. I'm getting a different answer when I evaluate it. I get an answer of 2

Regards,

Nenad

Last edited:
The sollution provided by the OP for #3 is totally incorrect.
[tex] \int_{0}^{3}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1+x}}[/tex]
U can integrate directly,or by a substitition:[itex] 1+x=u [/itex] and the final result is +2...

Daniel.

#6 has the answer "0",for the same reason as #2:symmetry (odd function integrated on a symmetric domain wrt origin).

Daniel.

courtrigrad said:
3. [itex] \int_{0}^{3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x}} dx = \frac{-1}{2}(1+x)^\frac{-3}{2} = F(b) - F(a) = \frac{7}{16} [/itex]
Here you mixed it up.

5. How would you do this one: [itex] \frac{3+ \ln x}{x} dx [/itex]?
Split the integral. Try [itex]u=\ln x[/itex].

6. [itex] \int^{1}_{-1} 3xe^{x^{2} -1} dx [/itex] Also how would I set this up? Would I let [itex] u = x^{2} - 1 [/itex]?
That would work.

If the marginal cost is [itex] \frac{dC}{dx} = 675 + 0.5x [/itex] how would C change when [itex] x [/itex] increases from 50 to 51? So [itex] C = 675x + \frac{1}{4} x^{2} [/itex]. So would I just compute [itex] F(51) - F(50) [/itex]?
Yes, that is correct. Note though that you can only determine C up to a constant, since you only know the derivative of C. It doesn't matter since you need a difference in C(x).

If you want to find the average value of [itex] f(x) = \frac{4}{\sqrt{x-1}}, [5,10] [/itex] would you use the formula [itex] \frac{1}{b-a}f'(x) [/itex]?

The average value over an interval [a,b] is:

[tex]\frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^bf(x)dx[/tex].

:smile:

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that relates the concepts of derivatives and integrals. It states that the derivative of a function, when evaluated at a point, is equal to the value of the integral of the function from a fixed reference point to that point.

2. Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus important?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is important because it connects two fundamental concepts in calculus, derivatives and integrals, and allows for the calculation of integrals using the concept of derivatives. This makes it a powerful tool in solving mathematical problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

3. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real-world applications?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, to model and solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation. It is also used in the field of statistics to calculate probabilities and in finance to calculate interest and investment returns.

4. What are the two parts of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is divided into two parts. Part 1, also known as the first fundamental theorem, states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding an antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. Part 2, also known as the second fundamental theorem, states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function.

5. Is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus only applicable to continuous functions?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is applicable to both continuous and discontinuous functions as long as the conditions for the existence of an antiderivative are met. However, the integral of a discontinuous function may not be defined at certain points, making it more difficult to apply the theorem in those cases.