Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals

In summary: Thanks, I must have missed that in the book!just a minor point:when solving exact differential equations like this, the solution should have a " + h(x)" or " + h(y)" term, depending on whether you used separation of variables with df/dx or df/dy. (the function h will depend solely on the OTHER variable, as it is much like a constant of integration--it's the stuff that turns into zero once you differentiate with respect to a specified variable.)so let's say we solve df/dx = 2y:f(x,y) = 2xy + h(y)now to get h(y)...df/dy = 2x + h '(y) = 2x
mattmns
Quick question, what is the approach to this problem?

Keep in mind I am supposed to use the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals.

[tex]\int_{C} 2ydx + 2xdy [/tex]

Where C is the line segment from (0,0) to (4,4).

Unless I am missing something I need to make that into the form of [tex]\vec{F} \cdot \vec_d{R}[/tex] to use the F.T. of L.I., but I have no clue where to start there. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattmns said:
Quick question, what is the approach to this problem?

Keep in mind I am supposed to use the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals.

[tex]\int_{C} 2ydx + 2xdy [/tex]

Where C is the line segment from (0,0) to (4,4).

Unless I am missing something I need to make that into the form of [tex]\vec{F} \cdot \vec_d{R}[/tex] to use the F.T. of L.I., but I have no clue where to start there. Thanks.
the fund thm of line integrals states that for a continuous smooth curve C, the following integral depends only on the value of f(x,y) at the END POINTS r1 and r2 of C:

[tex] \int_{C} (\nabla f) \bullet d \vec{r} \ = \ f(\vec{r_{2}}) - f(\vec{r_{1}})[/tex]

to apply this thm to your problem, note that:

[tex] (\nabla f) \bullet d \vec{r} \ = \ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dx \ + \ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} dy [/tex]

and thus for your problem integral, we must determine f(x,y) such that the following is true and then evaluate {f(4,4) - f(0,0)}:

[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \ = \ 2y [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \ = \ 2x [/tex]

it follows that:

[tex] f(x,y) \ = \ 2xy [/tex]

and hence:

[tex]\int_{C:(0,0)to(4,4)} (2y)\,dx \ + \ (2x)\,dy \ \, = \, \ \int_{C:(0,0)to(4,4)} \left ( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dx \ + \ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} dy \right ) \qquad \mbox{\{where f(x,y) = 2xy\}} [/tex]

[tex] \ \, = \, \ \int_{C:(0,0)to(4,4)} (\nabla f) \bullet d\vec{r} \ \, = \, \ f(4,4) \ - \ f(0,0) \ \, = \, \ \color{red} \ ? \ \ \mbox{(u finish prob solution)} [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, I must have missed that in the book!

just a minor point:

when solving exact differential equations like this, the solution should have a " + h(x)" or " + h(y)" term, depending on whether you used separation of variables with df/dx or df/dy. (the function h will depend solely on the OTHER variable, as it is much like a constant of integration--it's the stuff that turns into zero once you differentiate with respect to a specified variable.)

so let's say we solve df/dx = 2y:

f(x,y) = 2xy + h(y)

now to get h(y)...

df/dy = 2x + h '(y) = 2x

(the far right hand side was given to us from that first line integral, supposing that Q(x,y) = df/dy)

so we have that h '(y) = 0. this implies that h(y) = constant.

as far as this problem is concerned, we can pick any value for that constant, since it will be subtracted out at the end anyway.

you'll come across this method again in diff eq, so you might as well see it now, i think.

Yeah that h(x) or h(y) was in the book. My teacher, however, just said to say the first part is u(x,y) and the second part v(x,y) then take the antiderivative of u(x,y) with respect to x and the antiderivative of v(x,y) with respect to y. Then add the two together, but do not add the same things together. Meaning for this problem, I got the antiderivative of both as 2xy, but it would be just 1 times 2xy not 2 times 2xy.

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals is a theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a vector field over a curve to the values of the function at the endpoints of the curve. It states that if a vector field is continuous on a curve, the line integral of the vector field over that curve can be calculated by evaluating the scalar function at the endpoints of the curve and subtracting the two values.

How is the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals used in physics?

The Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force along a curve. This is because work is defined as the line integral of a force over a curve, and the Fundamental Theorem allows us to calculate this integral by evaluating the force at the endpoints of the curve.

What is the difference between the first and second parts of the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals?

The first part of the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals states that the line integral of a vector field over a curve can be calculated by evaluating the scalar function at the endpoints of the curve. The second part states that the line integral of a conservative vector field over a closed curve is zero.

What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a vector field where the line integral of the field over any closed curve is equal to zero. This means that the work done by the vector field along any closed path is zero, and the vector field is path-independent.

How is the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals is an extension of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to vector fields. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by calculating the antiderivative of the function at the endpoints of the interval. The Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals is a similar concept, but it applies to vector fields and curves instead of functions and intervals.