Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Thm of Arithemetic

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1
    Wow, it has been awhile! China has been fun, but now it is time to get back to the states and also math work! Here is a problem that has been giving me some problems. It reads: [tex] \prod [/tex] from i=1 to n, pi^ai for each i is the canonical representation of a, deduce a formula for the sum of squares of the positive divisors of a. I know what the canonical representation is, so would i just plug in numbers for n, and then from the output just make up a [tex] \sum [/tex] formula? Could anyone provide guidance?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, are you familiar with the formula for the sum of the divisors of a? (not the squares). If so, this is a very closely related problem.

If not, here are the basic steps. Let f(a)=sum of squares of divisors.

1)find a formula when a is a prime power, that is if a=p^b, where p is prime, what is f(p^b)? If you need another hint, what are the divisors of p^b?

2)if m and n are relatively prime, show f(nm)=f(n)f(m), that is, f is multiplicative. If you have trouble with the general case here, try a simplified form first, where m and n are prime powers. This should help you see how to get the divisors of nm from the divisors of m and the divisors of n.

3)Combine the above to get a feneral formula for f(a) in terms of it's prime factorization.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?