Fundamental Trig Identities

In summary, the conversation was about proving that the left side of the equation (tanx/(1+secx) + (1+secx)/tanx) is equal to 2cscx. The attempt at a solution involved using trigonometric identities and getting as far as (sec2x + 2cos 1/x + sec2x) / (1+cos 1/x)(tanx), but the person was unsure of where to go from there. The suggestion was made to multiply the top and bottom of the first term by (1-secx) and to use LaTeX for better formatting.
WastingBody
I just don't get this stuff. I've been trying on my own with the book. Also, is there a better way to post this?

Homework Statement

tanx 1 + secx
_________ + _________ = 2csc x
1 + secx tanx
I need to prove that this side equals the other.

Homework Equations

http://users.rcn.com/mwhitney.massed/trigresources/trig-reference.html
^^The reference I was using.

The Attempt at a Solution

tanx(tanx) 1 + secx(1 + secx)
_________ + _________ = 2csc x
1 + secx(tanx) tanx(1 + secx)
tan2 x 1 + 2secx + sec2x
________________ + _________________
1 + secx(tanx) (tanx)1 + secx
tan2x + 1 + 2secx + sec2x

This is as far as I get before I get lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First look at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997"thread to learn how to use LaTex. With that you can do this:

[tex] \frac { \tan x } { 1 + \sec x} + \frac {1 + \sec x} {\tan x} = 2 \csc x [/tex]

Now, try multipling the top and bottom of the first term on the left by [tex] 1 - \sec x [/tex]

BTW: Just click on my equations to see what I typed to produce them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear student,

I understand that you are struggling with understanding the fundamental trigonometric identities. These identities are crucial in solving various mathematical problems and understanding them is essential for your success in the subject.

Firstly, I would like to suggest that you seek help from your teacher or a tutor who can explain the concepts to you in a more personalized manner. Additionally, there are many online resources and videos available that can help you understand the identities better.

As for the problem you have mentioned, I would like to guide you through the steps to prove that the left side of the equation is equal to the right side.

Starting with the left side:
tanx/tanx + (1+secx)/tanx
= (tanx + 1 + secx)/tanx
= (1/cosx + 1 + 1/cosx)/sinx
= (1 + cosx + 1)/sinx
= (2 + cosx)/sinx
= 2(1/sinx) + cosx/sinx
= 2cscx + cotx
= 2cscx (since cotx = cosx/sinx)

Hence, the left side is equal to 2cscx, which is the same as the right side.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Remember to practice more problems and seek help whenever needed. Good luck with your studies.

Best regards,
A scientist

1. What are fundamental trigonometric identities?

Fundamental trigonometric identities are equations that relate the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent). These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

2. What are the three reciprocal trigonometric identities?

The three reciprocal trigonometric identities are cosecant (csc) = 1/sine, secant (sec) = 1/cosine, and cotangent (cot) = 1/tangent. They are derived from the Pythagorean identity, which states that sine squared plus cosine squared equals one.

3. How do I use fundamental trigonometric identities to solve equations?

To use fundamental trigonometric identities to solve equations, you first need to identify which identity will be useful for the given equation. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and substitution to simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

4. What is the Pythagorean identity and how is it used?

The Pythagorean identity, also known as the Pythagorean theorem, states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This identity is used to derive the three reciprocal trigonometric identities and to solve trigonometric equations.

5. Can fundamental trigonometric identities be used in real-world applications?

Yes, fundamental trigonometric identities have many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. They are used to calculate distances, angles, and forces in various contexts, such as building bridges, designing roller coasters, and navigating planes and ships.