Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamentalist Christian leaders

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find it amazing that fundamentalist Christian leaders who vehemently support the war in Iraq now point to it as a sign of the end times. What prophecy will they seek to fulfill next?

I think this all plays a huge role in the decisions made by Bush. As a fundamentalist, Bush and his fellows must by definition believe that Muslims are evil, so how in the world can these same "Christians" they be trusted with matters of national security and world peace? In effect, peace is against their religion.

I will never forget the fundamentlist in the south who told me that any good christian knows that there can be no peace in the middle east.

Smite thy enemy.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

SOS2008

Gold Member

Ivan, surely you know you shouldn't get me started on this. The Rapture folks are anxiously waiting to be swept up into heaven and rewarded with glory for their righteousness. So of course they are doing what ever they can to bring about the End Times.

Once while discussing this topic with a family member who believes we are nearing the second coming, I asked if he believed it would be good or bad to live through it. He believes in the Last Days (not the Rapture), and said it would be horrible. I then asked why not try to divert Armageddon, and work toward peace, ending poverty, leaving a clean environment for future generations, etc.? He didn’t know how to answer—I think I confused him.

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ah yes, your 1 anti-religious bigotry thread per day thread eh ivan :)

if you ever actually studied the bible... you would know that one of the only theories with a basis in the Bible that pertains to an Armaggedon is the idea that it will happen when a few requirements are met. One of which is an invasion of Israel. Some people said that many modern US presidents have always had that theory in the back of their minds when they approach middle eastern politics. The theory would, in the most technical sense, be debunked in.... probably 50 years based on the idea that as long as 1 human lived at the tiem of Israel being declared a nation, it is still possible. Now say someone can live 100 years or so and you're pretty much saying its impossible after say, 2060. But bleh, up to interpretation but thats pretty strict to the text.... oh well, thats off topic.

Anyhow, i think you people are surrounded by some weirdos that give a bad reputation to religion. Save your bigotry for other things.

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4
    Do you have proof that Bush is a fundamentalist? And I do mean to the letter of the definition that is currently accepted. Otherwise, this thread belongs in the skeptism and debunking forum, not here!

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5
    Bush himself openly states he is born again, which goes hand in hand with fundamentalism ("The Born Again Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic" by David B. Currie, David Currie, The Born Again Skeptic's Guide To The Bible by Ruth Hurmence Green, etc.). Here is a definition of fundamentalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalism#Fundamentalism_and_politics
    So what do you think? This sure sounds like Bush to me.

Oh Pengwuino, I saw a few websites about born again bigots that might interest you.

7. Oct 13, 2005 #6
    What I think and what you think have no bearing on the truth of the statement.

And that information you gave is evidence for Bush being a fundamentalist but not proof.

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: If you only knew how absolutely ludicrous that statement is you would crawl under the rug in shame.

I studied the bible formally every day for eight years, with various spurts of study for another ten years, and as a member of religious youth/young adult groups while in my early twenties. There was a time that I even I considered joining the priesthood.

So tell the fundamentalists since they're the ones making the claim. But I agree, people like Bush and his crooks don't even know the bible. As a Christian and an American I find them to be an embarrassment.

I have been a Christian my entire life. I have also attended five churches regularly including Catholic, Mormon, Lutheran, a Born again something or other, a “non-denominational” congregation, and have also attended another five or so out of interest over the years. Until recently Tsu was very active in the Presbyterian Church as a Deacon, so obviously I have attended there from time to time. In fact I can hardly keep them all straight any longer. I guess I should add that for eight years I attended church six or seven days a week.

I am not against religion, I am against those who use it to satisfy their own psychological problems, to “lead the sheep astray”, and to promote their own brand of self righteous psycho-boloney.

For example, no good Christian would ever support the use of torture.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  9. Oct 13, 2005 #8

SOS2008

Gold Member

I see your point -- Who can know another's heart? Bush could be lying, and many think he has just to get the Christian vote (which he lost in his first run for congress). If he has been faking it, he's done a great job with his constant quotes from hymns, scriptures, etc., though I suppose a bible-carrying speechwriter could be helping with that.

10. Oct 15, 2005 #9
    There definately is merit to your "prophecy" argument in both the Bush White House, and in many accepted beliefs by America's religious right.

What believers must also consider is that "witchcraft, or any other means that which attempt to interpret the future" is forbidden by historical bibilcal accounts.

In general terms, the use of prophecies and forecasting tends to cause people to "act out" the specific interpretations and forecasts of the future," and bring them to fruition - rather than DO YOUR BEST and let what does happen then play out. This is ever so apparent in the stock market, in how leading news develops, the mindset in large group gatherings, and among conspiracy theorists.

Intelligence reigns!!!!

11. Oct 15, 2005 #10
    The odd thing about whether or not Bush is a fundamentalist Christian is the fact that the fundamentalist Christians believe that he is. Thereby any war in the middle east is justified in the eyes of the fundamentalists. The war in Iraq reafirmed their belief that Bush is a fundamentalist.

Personally, since the vote of the fundamentalists was needed to win election, I think the whole "Bush is a fundamentalist" thing was contrived.

12. Oct 15, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does expressing in public that you believe that "God speaks through" you, count ?

13. Oct 15, 2005 #12
    Of course not since that does not meet the definition of a fundamentalist.

14. Oct 15, 2005 #13
    According to my very fundamentalist sister- in -law. A fundamentalist is a person who believes that the Bible is the inerrant word of God. Inerrant is her word not mine. To fundamentalists it reflect Gods divine word.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/ny-wobush1007,0,5941044.story?coll=ny-world-big-pix

15. Oct 15, 2005 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay then..not fundamentalist, just loony !

16. Oct 15, 2005 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Oct 15, 2005 #16

SOS2008

Gold Member

So a mustard seed started it all? No wonder! :rofl: Seriously, the author seems to be saying that Bush is not a good Christian, which is not necessarily the same thing as being a fundamentalist. And I'd say the author is not a good Christian either--sounds like a bigot to me.

18. Oct 15, 2005 #17
    Yeah...there are many bad names you could call him and I would agree with you on a lot of them but I don't believe fundamentalist is accurate.

I have met some HARD CORE Christian fundamentalist and I could not stand them. They are so frickin stuck on what they believe that you just can't talk to them about anything....:yuck:

19. Oct 16, 2005 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seemed to me that the author fit the prescription for being a fundamentalist. And so, by his rants, Bush can not be one...at least he can't be a good one.

But maybe he's just lousy at being a fundamentalist...just like he's lousy at other things ! :biggrin:

20. Oct 16, 2005 #19
    That's a good one. "Weirdos that give a bad reputation to religion." Religion does not need non-religious weirdos to give it a bad reputation. Religion is the single biggest cause of problems on this planet.

I am so glad to know that there are a few requirements to be met before an Armaggedon is in sight. And all that because somebody supposedly said so.

21. Oct 16, 2005 #20

kat

and to think I thought it was greed...:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?