Fundamentals of Physics: Is the Older Edition Outdated?

In summary, the author recommends getting the older edition of the book. It is not outdated and will cover the material you need.
DougD720
Can someone check this book out for me please, I'm a little confused at how something that's supposed to be so great could be so cheap. Perhaps because it's the older edition (6th and i think the 7th is out).

Will the material be outdated or is it alright to get? I think it's a steal for 20 bucks as opposed to the new edition which costs about 150.

Thanks for the help, I've heard that this book is supposed to be really great. Let me know!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780471332367&itm=3"

-Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe i'll just save up for the newer (7th) edition. It's $130.00 from amazon which isn't too bad. I'll just save up for it, but comments on the other one i posted and this one are welcome. It looks like a great book to cover the physics I'm being taught, the physics ill be taking next year, and probably some of the physics ill take in college. Thanks!

It says it's published in 2000, can't be that bad then, can it? I would get the cheap one. (Unless that's a lie of course)

Unless you need a specific edition, there's no reason to pay for the latest edition. Authors usually get things right by the 2nd edition. The bulk of Fundamentals is classical physics that is not going to go out of date. Publishers like to keep updating books so that they can extract the most money out of the textbook market.

You might want to read some of the threads in this subforum on the various versions and editions of Resnick & Halliday.

Last edited:
I already have the 7th edition in my hand now, but since i really needed more understanding about those concepts and also wish to improve my foundation level in physics...
therefore i planning to buy one more/an older ver. of Fundamentals of Physics
is there have any advice for me to purchase which version is adequate?
i have view a thread where discussed before https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138035&page=2"
^_^physicist posted his opinion saying that 4th and 6th is better, should i choose this either version?

Last edited by a moderator:
is this book is by Resnik & halliday

Older editions are fine... the laws haven't changed since the first printing, although it may be a better book from a pedagogical standpoint.

Only other consideration that may come into play is whether or not this is for a class. If it's for a class, the homework problems may be specific to a particular edition - although you could always get them from a classmate.

1. Is the older edition of "Fundamentals of Physics" still relevant and accurate?

Yes, the older editions of "Fundamentals of Physics" are still highly relevant and accurate. The laws and principles of physics have not changed since the previous editions, so the content remains valid.

2. Are there any major differences between the older edition and the newer edition of "Fundamentals of Physics"?

While the overall content and concepts remain the same, there may be some updates or revisions to examples, practice problems, and illustrations in the newer edition.

3. Can I use the older edition for my physics course?

It is best to consult with your instructor to determine if the older edition will suffice for your course. In some cases, the instructor may require the use of the latest edition for specific assignments or updates.

4. How often are new editions of "Fundamentals of Physics" released?

New editions of "Fundamentals of Physics" are typically released every 3-5 years. However, this can vary depending on the publisher and any major updates or changes in the field of physics.

5. Are there any significant advantages to using the newer edition over the older edition?

The newer edition may have updated illustrations and examples, as well as additional practice problems and resources. However, the core concepts and principles remain the same in both editions.