Fundamentals of Thermodynamics by Sonntag

Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics by Van Wylen and Sonntag back in 1983. They reached out to Sonntag for clarification on the Second Law and its philosophical implications. They have the 6th edition and plan to use it this time to study for their thermo course. Another person used the same book for their second year thermo course and finds it useful as a reference text. However, they mention that other books like Zemansky, Devoe, and Pitzer may provide deeper insights. In summary, the conversation is about the use of the book Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics and its helpfulness as a reference text.
plucker_08
anyone who uses this book?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics, Van Wylen and Sonntag: back in 1983. I got in touch with Sonntag a few years ago asking him questions about the Second Law and it's Philisophical ramifications.

I have the 6th edition. I bought it last year, didnt really use it, failed thermo, so now I am back to do it again. I think ill read it this time.

I used it for my second year thermo course, but it's proven handy as a reference text. I don't have much to compare it to, though.

I've got the 6th edition on hand. I'd say that it does a reasonable job as an introductory text.

Zemansky, Devoe, Pitzer all provide deeper insights.

desA

1. What is the main concept of "Fundamentals of Thermodynamics"?

The main concept of "Fundamentals of Thermodynamics" by Sonntag is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and laws governing thermodynamic systems, as well as their applications in various engineering fields.

2. What topics are covered in this book?

This book covers topics such as energy, thermodynamic properties, work and heat interactions, the first and second laws of thermodynamics, entropy, power and refrigeration cycles, and gas mixtures.

3. What makes this book suitable for beginners?

This book is suitable for beginners because it starts with basic concepts and gradually builds upon them, using clear and concise explanations, examples, and illustrations to help readers understand the material.

4. Are there any real-world examples or applications included in this book?

Yes, this book includes numerous real-world examples and applications, such as the analysis of steam and gas power cycles, refrigeration systems, and combustion processes, to help readers see the practical relevance of thermodynamics in engineering.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study?

Yes, this book can be used for self-study as it includes a large number of practice problems and solutions, as well as end-of-chapter review questions, to help readers reinforce their understanding of the material.