Funding for Canadian Masters Student in Germany

In summary, the speaker is a Canadian student studying in Germany and is about to start their masters. They are ineligible for most German funding and have been working part-time to finance their living expenses. However, they would prefer to focus solely on their studies and are looking for grants or bursaries that they may be eligible for. They have also found a part-time job as a research assistant but are still looking for other options. Suggestions include looking into Canadian funding and checking the DAAD database for scholarship opportunities, as well as seeking a part-time job at the university or in the physics department.
Markel
I'm a Canadian student studying in Germany and I'm about to do my masters here. I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation? As a Canadian, I'm inelligible for most German funding (though tuition is free), so for my bachelors I've been working part time to finance what money I need to live. I can continue doing this for my masters, but it does cut into my studying time and obviously I'd prefer to concentrate only on my studies. If anyone knows of any grants or bursaries that I would be eligible for (my marks are ok, but not fantastic), or if someone has been in the same situation and has some good advice I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Markel said:
I'm a Canadian student studying in Germany and I'm about to do my masters here. I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation? As a Canadian, I'm inelligible for most German funding (though tuition is free), so for my bachelors I've been working part time to finance what money I need to live. I can continue doing this for my masters, but it does cut into my studying time and obviously I'd prefer to concentrate only on my studies. If anyone knows of any grants or bursaries that I would be eligible for (my marks are ok, but not fantastic), or if someone has been in the same situation and has some good advice I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

What about CANADIAN funding, something like:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.c...RAD_scholarships-bourses.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Have you looked into the DAAD database ?
http://www.daad.de/deutschland/foerderung/stipendiendatenbank/00462.en.html

You can always go for a part-time job (HiWi/werkstudent: ~10eur/hour, typically the working hours are flexible) at the university.
I would suggest contacting the PhD students and see if they're offering something.
There are often open positions if you know some programming. If you're lucky, you might find something more interesting at the physics department.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, I've found a job for 10 hours a week as a research assistant, but this isn't enough to survive on, so I've been working teaching english for another 10. I can do it, but working 20 hours a week (almost entirely on weekdays) is a bit rough, and if there was some other option I'm not aware of I would definitely prefer that.

As a fellow scientist, I understand the challenges of balancing work and studies while pursuing a degree. It sounds like you have been resourceful in finding part-time work to support yourself during your bachelor's degree, and I commend you for that. I have not been in the same situation, but I can offer some suggestions for potential funding opportunities for your master's studies in Germany as a Canadian student.

Firstly, have you looked into scholarships specifically for Canadian students studying abroad? There are a number of organizations and foundations that offer funding for Canadian students studying in other countries. Some examples include the Killam Fellowships Program and the Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund. These opportunities may have specific criteria and application processes, so be sure to research and apply well in advance.

Additionally, have you explored any funding opportunities within your field of study? Many scientific organizations and associations offer grants and awards for students pursuing research in their respective fields. It may be worth reaching out to these organizations to inquire about any potential funding options.

Lastly, have you considered reaching out to your university's financial aid office or your academic department for assistance? They may have information on available grants or bursaries for international students, or be able to offer advice on managing your finances while studying.

I wish you all the best in your master's studies in Germany and hope that you are able to find the financial support you need to focus on your studies. Good luck!

What funding opportunities are available for Canadian Masters students in Germany?

There are several funding options available for Canadian Masters students in Germany, including scholarships from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and those offered by Canadian universities and government agencies. Additionally, some German universities offer tuition waivers or stipends for international students. It is important to research and apply to multiple funding sources in order to increase your chances of receiving financial support.

What are the eligibility requirements for funding as a Canadian Masters student in Germany?

The specific eligibility requirements for funding as a Canadian Masters student in Germany may vary depending on the funding source. Generally, students must have a strong academic record and be enrolled in a recognized Masters program at a German university. Some scholarships may also have specific requirements such as language proficiency or field of study. It is important to carefully review the eligibility criteria for each funding opportunity before applying.

How do I apply for funding as a Canadian Masters student in Germany?

The application process for funding as a Canadian Masters student in Germany will also vary depending on the funding source. Some scholarships may require a separate application, while others may be automatically considered when you apply for admission to a German university. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by each funding source and to submit all required documents and materials within the specified deadlines.

What expenses can funding for Canadian Masters students in Germany cover?

The expenses covered by funding for Canadian Masters students in Germany will also vary depending on the funding source. Generally, funding can cover tuition fees, living expenses, and travel costs. Some scholarships may also provide additional benefits such as health insurance or a language course. It is important to carefully review the details of each funding opportunity to understand what expenses are covered.

What are the obligations of receiving funding as a Canadian Masters student in Germany?

The obligations of receiving funding as a Canadian Masters student in Germany will vary depending on the funding source. Some scholarships may require students to maintain a certain GPA or to participate in certain activities or events. Additionally, students may be required to report on their progress or to provide a final report at the end of their funding period. It is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of each funding opportunity to understand your obligations as a recipient.