Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funeral by a non christian family

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I went to one today. I won't bore you with the details, but something struck me as out of place. It was the funeral of a non-christian boy from a non-christian family, and yet it was performed by a vicar, with all appropriate prayers and glory to god. Some parts were really heart felt and got to me a bit, but whenever god was mentioned, it just seemed so hollow and empty. Why is it funerals always seem to be religiously based? Has anyone been to one that wasn't?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2
    Yes I have been to several that had no God/church involvment at all, altho people were told if it make them feel better, they could say a prayer to themselfs. They played favorit music, and invited people to share stories, it was really nice.

PS, sorry for your loss

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  4. Sep 12, 2005 #3
    The only funeral I've been to was my grandfather and he was a christian, in a christian town, with a christian wife. It was a very christian funeral.

There were mainly christians there.

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

The development of the story
    and the shocking climax! so unexpected

6. Sep 12, 2005 #5
    I've added a conclusion. Enjoy. :biggrin:

7. Sep 12, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

A truly shocking and compelling ending.

The Chritian Funeral, a novella by - Smurf

Incredible ending!

8. Sep 12, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Unitarians-Universalists do both religious and non-religious depending on the wishes of the individual and family. UU's do funerals or memorial services, and they are tailored to atheists, agnostics, Christians, pagans, non-Christians and any combination thereof. We like to cover everyone. We do the same for marriages/unions/commitments or whatever one wants to call it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. :frown:

I expect that I will have funeral to go to soon based on the situation with one of my wife's aunts. She's in hospice.

Two weeks ago, I attended a memorial service for an elderly woman my wife and I had known for quite for about 15 years. Unfortunately, I have quite a few older friends and acquaintances, and I expect the pace of funerals and memorial services will be picking up.

9. Sep 12, 2005 #8
    :frown: The guy just got back from a funeral and we're making a mockery out of his thread. For shame.

10. Sep 12, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

oh, I'm really sorry, mathyaou. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, especially in this difficult situation.

Sorry to hear of your loss :frown:

11. Sep 12, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My condolences on your loss.

The ceremony is more important to the family and friends than to the deceased. When my grandfather died (he was non-religious; believed in God, but nothing more than that), my grandmother, who was Catholic, had a Catholic priest officiate over the funeral service. That bugged me a lot at the time knowing my grandfather's views on religion, but over time, I realized that if it comforted my grandmother, then that would have been more important to him than who was performing the service.

12. Sep 13, 2005 #11

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Sorry, matthyaouw. :frown: :smile:

Every funeral I've been to had a strong religious aspect to it. I don't think trying to make sense of the way people grieve works out very well. I didn't go to my grandmother's funeral, which might not make sense to everyone, but my absence there doesn't reflect my thoughts or feelings about her. I had just figured out that I grieve differently than the rest of my family, and it was better for everyone that I not be there. Anyway, I guess I mean that dealing with great loss can be complicated, and sometimes feeling works better than thinking.

13. Sep 13, 2005 #12

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Thanks for the condolances, and for sharing your stories.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?