Funeral by a non christian family

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
In summary: It's interesting to think about how people might grieve differently based on their religious beliefs.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I went to one today. I won't bore you with the details, but something struck me as out of place. It was the funeral of a non-christian boy from a non-christian family, and yet it was performed by a vicar, with all appropriate prayers and glory to god. Some parts were really heart felt and got to me a bit, but whenever god was mentioned, it just seemed so hollow and empty. Why is it funerals always seem to be religiously based? Has anyone been to one that wasn't?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I have been to several that had no God/church involvment at all, altho people were told if it make them feel better, they could say a prayer to themselfs. They played favorit music, and invited people to share stories, it was really nice.

PS, sorry for your loss

Last edited:
The only funeral I've been to was my grandfather and he was a christian, in a christian town, with a christian wife. It was a very christian funeral.

There were mainly christians there.

Last edited:
Smurf said:
The only funeral I've been to was my grandfather and he was a christian, in a christian town, with a christian wife.
The development of the story
Smurf said:
It was a very christian funeral.
and the shocking climax! so unexpected

I've added a conclusion. Enjoy. :biggrin:

A truly shocking and compelling ending.

The Chritian Funeral, a novella by - Smurf

Incredible ending!

matthyaouw said:
Why is it funerals always seem to be religiously based? Has anyone been to one that wasn't?
Unitarians-Universalists do both religious and non-religious depending on the wishes of the individual and family. UU's do funerals or memorial services, and they are tailored to atheists, agnostics, Christians, pagans, non-Christians and any combination thereof. We like to cover everyone. We do the same for marriages/unions/commitments or whatever one wants to call it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. :frown:

I expect that I will have funeral to go to soon based on the situation with one of my wife's aunts. She's in hospice.

Two weeks ago, I attended a memorial service for an elderly woman my wife and I had known for quite for about 15 years. Unfortunately, I have quite a few older friends and acquaintances, and I expect the pace of funerals and memorial services will be picking up.

Last edited:
:frown: The guy just got back from a funeral and we're making a mockery out of his thread. For shame.

oh, I'm really sorry, mathyaou. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, especially in this difficult situation.

Sorry to hear of your loss :frown:

My condolences on your loss.

The ceremony is more important to the family and friends than to the deceased. When my grandfather died (he was non-religious; believed in God, but nothing more than that), my grandmother, who was Catholic, had a Catholic priest officiate over the funeral service. That bugged me a lot at the time knowing my grandfather's views on religion, but over time, I realized that if it comforted my grandmother, then that would have been more important to him than who was performing the service.

Sorry, matthyaouw. :frown: :smile:

Every funeral I've been to had a strong religious aspect to it. I don't think trying to make sense of the way people grieve works out very well. I didn't go to my grandmother's funeral, which might not make sense to everyone, but my absence there doesn't reflect my thoughts or feelings about her. I had just figured out that I grieve differently than the rest of my family, and it was better for everyone that I not be there. Anyway, I guess I mean that dealing with great loss can be complicated, and sometimes feeling works better than thinking.

Thanks for the condolances, and for sharing your stories.

1. What is a "Funeral by a non christian family"?

A "Funeral by a non christian family" is a funeral service or ceremony that is organized and conducted by a family who does not identify as Christian or follow the Christian faith. This can include people of different religious beliefs, agnostics, or atheists.

2. How does a "Funeral by a non christian family" differ from a traditional Christian funeral?

A "Funeral by a non christian family" may differ from a traditional Christian funeral in several ways. For example, it may not include religious elements such as prayers, hymns, or readings from the Bible. The focus may be more on celebrating the life and memories of the deceased rather than the afterlife or salvation.

3. Are there any specific rituals or customs in a "Funeral by a non christian family"?

There are no specific rituals or customs that are universal to all "Funerals by non christian families". Each family may choose to incorporate their own cultural or personal traditions into the service, or they may decide to have a completely non-religious and secular ceremony.

4. Can non christian family members attend a "Funeral by a non christian family"?

Yes, non christian family members are welcome to attend a "Funeral by a non christian family". The family may choose to have a private or public service, and it is their decision who they invite to attend.

5. How can I show my support and respect at a "Funeral by a non christian family"?

You can show your support and respect at a "Funeral by a non christian family" by following the family's wishes and participating in the service respectfully. If you are unsure about any customs or traditions, you can ask the family beforehand or simply follow along with the others in attendance. It is also appropriate to offer condolences and share memories of the deceased with the family during the service or after.