1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funky Counting Question

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Funky Counting Question

Problem. We have 20 thousand dollars that must be invested among 4 possible opportunities. Each investment must be integral in units of 1 thousand dollars, and there are minimal investments that need to be made if one is to invest in these opportunities. The minimal investments are 2, 2, 3, and 4 thousand dollars. How many different investment strategies are available if investments must be made in at least 3 of the 4 opportunities.

Answers. 572

Attempt. Let a, b, c and d be the 4 possible opportunities with minimal investments of 2, 2, 3 and 4 thousand dollars respectively. The possible combinations of opportunities are abc, abd, acd and abcd right? Now, would it illegal to invest 3 thousand dollars into opportunity a? Must it be multiples of 2 thousand? Ditto for the rest of the opportunities.

If it has to be in multiples of the minimum investment, how would one count them effectively? All I can think of doing is writing down combinations and looking for patterns.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Hint: For each case... subtract away the minimum investment and see the numbers of ways to distribute the rest.

4. Aug 31, 2007 #3
    OK. I realize my mistake now. Also, there are more than 4 possible combinations of opportunities. The combinations are abc, abd, acd, bcd, abcd.

Consider abc. After investing the minimum, I'm left with 13 thousand to invest. Let A, B, C be the quantities in thousands that I must invest after the minimum investment in a, b, c respectively. All I have to do is find the number of nonnegative integer solutions to A + B + C = 13 right? That is C(13 + 3 - 1, 3 - 1) = C(15, 2) = 105. For abd, I get C(12 + 3 - 1, 3 - 1) = C(14, 2) = 91. For acd, I get C(11 + 3 - 1, 3 - 1) = C(13, 2) = 78. bcd is the same as acd so it should be 78. For abcd I get C(9 + 4 - 1, 4 - 1) = C(11, 3) = 165. I get 517 after adding them all up.

I'm still missing something. What could I be missing?

5. Aug 31, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

This should be (12,3) = 220

6. Aug 31, 2007 #5
    Ah! How embarrassing. Thanks.

7. Aug 31, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

no prob.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?