Funniest Member Award Nomination: Time to Strut Your Stuff!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the 2006 funniest members disappeared and it's probably a test to see who is the least intensely focused on maths and science. The winners are then culled. Cyrus is still around, but his penguin sidekick vanished. MIH got promoted to Mentor, and the others have been in and out of GD on and off.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yes, we're getting close to that time of year. We're going to need nominees for Funniest Member.

This has been a rather dry year. I know some of you are just hilarious. It's time to start strutting your stuff.

Artman, where are you?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I says to the girl with the wooden leg "Peg, how you standin' it?" and she says "I can't kick." Ba da boom!:rolleyes:

turbo-1 said:
So I says to the girl with the wooden leg "Peg, how you standin' it?" and she says "I can't kick." Ba da boom!:rolleyes:
Now that's the spirit! I guess a nomination for turbo might be in his future. :approve:

Come on, we've got plenty of funny people. jimmysnider can come up with some really funny lines, unfortunately he was killed by a Vulcan death pinch yesterday due to a misunderstanding over a puzzle.

Evo said:
Come on, we've got plenty of funny people. jimmysnider can come up with some really funny lines, unfortunately he was killed by a Vulcan death pinch yesterday due to a misunderstanding over a puzzle.
I'm sorry. I didn't know there was a misunderstanding. I thought it was intentional and warranted a pre-emptive cleansing. My bad.

turbo-1 said:
I'm sorry. I didn't know there was a misunderstanding. I thought it was intentional and warranted a pre-emptive cleansing. My bad.
Shhhh, I'm calling it a misunderstanding. :uhh:

I won't even try for that award. I am way too serious.

In elementary school and junior high, my peers called me Spoc because I was very serious and intensely interested (even immersed) in math and science, and it didn't help that my mom liked to cut my hair short so that I pretty much did look Spoc.

I did have a sense of humor - I just didn't understand the jokes.

The 2006 funniest members disappeared. This is probably just a test to see who is the least intensely focused on maths and science. The winners are then culled.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Ooooh ooh me me me! Pick me!

Actually I think neutrino has made me laugh out loud quite a few times in the recent past. i.e. his Kirchoff's law problem.

I do have a funny story from yesterday though.

I have an 8:00am lecture every mon/wed/fri. It's a history class too, so it's not always easy to stay awake. But this one guy must be a HUGE history buff, I mean he's always sitting in the front and he is always the first one to raise his hand when the prof asks a question. Not to mention that he often cuts the professor off and starts with "Well anyway, blah blah blah oppinion oppinion" and this makes the professor quite mad, rightly so since it's shockingly childish behavior. But anyways yesterday I saw something I thought I wouldn't ever see again once I left elementary school.

The professor was sort of ignoring the student a bit, not calling upon him when he had his hand up. Basically just giving other students a chance to participate. Finally the student gets so mad that when the prof asks a question - I think it was something about Machiavelli's the Prince, the student straightens his back right up and yells "MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" lol. It was quite funny.
:bugeye: I'll bet that your prof was just wishing it was still fully acceptable to invite a student to leave the classroom. I might have done so anyway, and dealt with the repercussions later. "Mr. History Buff, if you think you already know the material better than I do, and cannot conduct yourself as an adult respectful of others in this classroom, you will find the door is over there."

Edit: Sorry, but your reason for editing is funnier than the original post (but you can see I beat you to it with the quote). I'm afraid you're still qualified for nomination. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
The 2006 funniest members disappeared. This is probably just a test to see who is the least intensely focused on maths and science. The winners are then culled.

Oh, we throw them into the volcano as a sacrifice to the PF gods. I thought everyone knew that's what happens to the funniest member. The only reason Cyrus is still around is that he pushed Pengwuino in first.

Yes I totally agree. It's not acceptable at all at the University level. I usually just shake my head, but the "MEEEEE" was intensely funny.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:

Cyrus is still around, but his penguin sidekick vanished.

MIH got promoted to Mentor,

and the others have been in and out of GD on and off.

BobG has been on the road.

Arildno is helping out a lot with homework.

Wolram's around, but he is being more serious these days.

Zooby is around, but he's drawing/sketching, and so is Lisa now and then.

Artman is AWOL.

Last edited:

I revoke my application upon reading Kurdt's post
Too late! You've been quoted.

No! No! I love math and science! y=mx+b!

Don't do it please.

No! No! I love math and science! y=mx+b!

Don't do it please.
Sorry, someone's got to go into the Volcano, it's for the good of the forum.

Oh well it appears that I haven't been keeping track but then again I use nexus where Astro is still engineering guru. The PF volcano god isn't nearly as hungry as I'd thought. I think we have our willing sacrifise for this year though :smile:

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Oh well it appears that I haven't been keeping track but then again I use nexus where Astro is still engineering guru.
I guess Greg is doing an multiverse experiment. Different realities in Nexusverse vs Primeverse. Or is the concurrent reality theory.

Astronuc said:
I guess Greg is doing an multiverse experiment. Different realities in Nexusverse vs Primeverse. Or is the concurrent reality theory.

:rofl: Despite all your protests, I think you're demonstrating a definite funny streak there. :biggrin: Don't worry, once the volcano god gets a mouthful of that beard and all that hair, he'll probably just spit you back out.

Just to help speed things along, I nominate Astronuc for everything. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Just to help speed things along, I nominate Astronuc for everything. :biggrin:

Seconded. :approve:

Evo said:
If anyone found my posts humorous, then I am satisfied. I'm not sure how the contest works. How can I be the funniest member if I am not a member? As for death pinches, I've developed a tolerance.

Astronuc said:
I won't even try for that award. I am way too serious.
Astro you are seriously funny man, seriously.

Math Is Hard said:
Thirded!

Math Is Hard said:

turbo-1 said:
Thirded!

and new category: most serious member with beard on face.

Astro is the super guru. He should get his own colour and fanfare when he enters a forum.

Evo said:
We're going to need nominees for Funniest Member.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this, it might be performance anxiety, but do we have to post pictures of our 'members' to enter... the contest? Is a slight curve funny? And what about the females... statistically there must be one or two around here... ok maybe.

Or are they the judges?
Gosh darn this is embarrassing.

turbo-1 said:
Thirded!

Fourthed !

Astronuc is the Man-Forum(TM).

As an independent and impartial observer, I nominate Evo.

Let us start a grass root campaign to lift the ban on nominating mentors. :smile:

arildno said:
As an independent and impartial observer, I nominate Evo.

Let us start a grass root campaign to lift the ban on nominating mentors. :smile:
I'll second that.

Astronuc said:
I'll second that.

I'll third.

This year it should be the funniest Mentor award.

I also nominate Ivan.

zoobyshoe said:
I'll third.

This year it should be the funniest Mentor award.

I also nominate Ivan.

I second that, too. He should come in second, after Evo.

arildno said:
I second that, too. He should come in second, after Evo.

They should share the award. I don't care in which order they're thrown into the volcano.

zoobyshoe said:
They should share the award. I don't care in which order they're thrown into the volcano.
:bugeye: Oh, no, no, Ivan is *definitely* funnier than I am. :uhh:

Oh, and don't forget Moonbear, Moonbear is a riot!

(sorry MB, but my fear of being fed to a volcano is second only to my fear of getting water splashed on my face)

(oh wait, that water thing is a secret)

Last edited:
Alright then, let's have Ivan for some more time, so that he could do a farewell stand-up act or something before he is also thrown. :devil:

Evo said:
:bugeye: Oh, no, no, Ivan is *definitely* funnier than I am. :uhh:

Oh, and don't forget Moonbear, Moonbear is a riot!

(sorry MB, but my fear of being fed to a volcano is second only to my fear of getting water splashed on my face)

(oh wait, that water thing is a secret)

Ivan's pretty funny, but I'm sure the volcano will be satisfied with the comedy stylings of Moonbear and Evo.

zoobyshoe said:
Ivan's pretty funny, but I'm sure the volcano will be satisfied with the comedy stylings of Moonbear and Evo.
They can probably scream quite well too. (A prerequisite to satisfy the bloodthirsty volcano gods.)

<h2>What is the "Funniest Member Award"?</h2><p>The "Funniest Member Award" is an award given to the member of a group or community who is known for their humor and ability to make others laugh.</p><h2>How can I nominate someone for the "Funniest Member Award"?</h2><p>To nominate someone for the "Funniest Member Award", you can either submit a nomination form or send an email to the designated award committee with the nominee's name and a brief explanation of why you think they deserve the award.</p><h2>Who is eligible for the "Funniest Member Award"?</h2><p>Any member of the group or community can be eligible for the "Funniest Member Award", as long as they have not previously won the award and have not been nominated for the same award in the current year.</p><h2>What criteria are considered for the "Funniest Member Award"?</h2><p>The criteria for the "Funniest Member Award" may vary depending on the group or community, but generally, factors such as originality, delivery, and impact of the humor will be taken into consideration.</p><h2>When will the winner of the "Funniest Member Award" be announced?</h2><p>The winner of the "Funniest Member Award" will typically be announced at a designated event or gathering, such as an awards ceremony or a group meeting. The exact date and time of the announcement will be communicated to all nominees and members of the group or community.</p>

What is the "Funniest Member Award"?

The "Funniest Member Award" is an award given to the member of a group or community who is known for their humor and ability to make others laugh.

How can I nominate someone for the "Funniest Member Award"?

To nominate someone for the "Funniest Member Award", you can either submit a nomination form or send an email to the designated award committee with the nominee's name and a brief explanation of why you think they deserve the award.

Who is eligible for the "Funniest Member Award"?

Any member of the group or community can be eligible for the "Funniest Member Award", as long as they have not previously won the award and have not been nominated for the same award in the current year.

What criteria are considered for the "Funniest Member Award"?

The criteria for the "Funniest Member Award" may vary depending on the group or community, but generally, factors such as originality, delivery, and impact of the humor will be taken into consideration.

When will the winner of the "Funniest Member Award" be announced?

The winner of the "Funniest Member Award" will typically be announced at a designated event or gathering, such as an awards ceremony or a group meeting. The exact date and time of the announcement will be communicated to all nominees and members of the group or community.