What Were the Craziest Hairstyles of the 80s?

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, the conversation touches on various topics such as hairstyles in the 80s, music eras, and personal experiences. Participants share their opinions on hair trends and musical preferences from that era. Some provide personal anecdotes while others engage in playful banter. The conversation ends with a mention of a musician who was highly regarded by contemporary classical composers.
Sophia
Hairstyle in the 80's! http://9gag.com/gag/aE7gNB9?ref=fsidebar

Physics news on Phys.org
What the?... :olduhh:

Thank goodness I wasn't alive by then. :bow: How can that even be considered... Argh, forget it.

Wasn't a great decade for rock either. I never really liked hair bands.

Kevin McHugh said:
Wasn't a great decade for rock either. I never really liked hair bands.
You had to survive the "disco era" of the 70's to appreciate hair bands. After disco even the 80's "big hair" bands were an improvement.
Musical eras are very relative where artistic quality is concerned. :music::headbang:

1oldman2 said:
You had to survive the "disco era" of the 70's to appreciate hair bands. After disco even the 80's "big hair" bands were an improvement.

Umm, sorry, oldman, Disco didn't suck, disco was the best thing the 70's had to offer, followed closely by the punk movement...

As far as the 80's mullet, it's all business up front, and party in the back. What's wrong with that? Well, in the 80's, I just had a regular hair cut because my Adonis Greek god hair was too fluffy for Mullitfication. I tried, though.

You know, I prefer how Cleopatra's hair looks like. Although I'm not sure if that's a hairstyle or a garment.

Source
Denderah3_Cleopatra_Cesarion.jpg

@ Sophie - you know, I think those pics in your post are only from people at the US, not the rest of the world.

Psinter said:
you know, I think those pics in your post are only from people at the US, not the rest of the world.

I don't know where it is you are from, Psinter. But your clay cut out isn't enlightening the discovery here. Why don't you tell us, or better yet, show us, what peoples in your country wore as hairstyles in the 80's.., since you are so educated on what was going on in the "rest of the world" at the time :oldsmile:

DiracPool said:
I don't know where it is you are from, Psinter. But your clay cut out isn't enlightening the discovery here.
:DD Hey, are you making fun of how Cleopatra appeared in that picture? Prepare for trial by the pharaoh. :nb) She may not have been photogenic, but she doesn't like comments on her pictures. :-p

Me? I'm not from anywhere.
DiracPool said:
Why don't you tell us, or better yet, show us, what peoples in your country wore as hairstyles in the 80's.., since you are so educated on what what going on in the "rest of the world" at the time :oldsmile:
I don't know. I wasn't alive in the 80s. It probably was the same. o0)

Psinter said:
Me? I'm not from anywhere.

You're the man from nowhere? :cool:

Ok, cough it up, give us a country or municipality and I guarantee you nsaspook won't stalk you at your local Starbucks cafe..Deal?

Psinter said:
You know, I prefer how Cleopatra's hair looks like. Although I'm not sure if that's a hairstyle or a garment.

Source
Denderah3_Cleopatra_Cesarion.jpg

@ Sophie - you know, I think those pics in your post are only from people at the US, not the rest of the world.
I'm afraid not. Even here, behind the iron curtain people wore hair like that. I'd post the photos but you don't know them anyway so it wouldn't help. They looked just like the Americans. :-)

Likes 1oldman2
Sophia said:
I'm afraid not. Even here, behind the iron curtain people wore hair like that. I'd post the photos but you don't know them anyway so it wouldn't help. They looked just like the Americans. :-)
And I will tease you too to reveal your whereabouts. I really don't think anyone would stalk you or be racist (once you said you were afraid of racism) people here are too smart for that kind of primitivism.

DiracPool said:
You're the man from nowhere? :cool:
Exactly!
CommentPhotos.com_1406753323.jpg
DiracPool said:
Ok, cough it up, give us a country or municipality and I guarantee you nsaspook won't stalk you at your local Starbucks cafe..Deal?
That's strictly forbidden.
Sophia said:
I really don't think anyone would stalk you or be racist (once you said you were afraid of racism) people here are too smart for that kind of primitivism.
I'll err on the side of caution.
Sophia said:
It's okay, I wasn't serious :wink:. Your original post was meant to laugh and I did laugh. I just added that to play with you :-p. But if someone is taking it seriously, then fine, I don't care (don't take this so seriously either, it's more like a "meh"). But if they are that serious they can watch this video then: (and the related ones) *says Psinter in a careless, but amiable tone*

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
DiracPool said:
Umm, sorry, oldman, Disco didn't suck, disco was the best thing the 70's had to offer, followed closely by the punk movement...
This exactly what I mean about music eras being very relative where artistic quality is concerned (there's that quality concept popping up again) While I liked the early BeeGees the disco version never did much for me, but that's just me :smile:. After Groups like the Beatles, Cream, not to mention Ten years after, I just couldn't get into the canned (not canned heat) music approach, Here is a link to the closest 70's disco I was good with because it included some laughs. By the way I should mention that the best thing about Old men and their advice is it's always free and there is an endless supply of it.:oldcool:

Likes DiracPool
FZ was the bomb. I saw him twice, and met him in a bar in Ann Arbor. I just turned my nephew (14) onto Slime from the video. He liked the rhyming.

Likes 1oldman2
Kevin McHugh said:
FZ was the bomb. I saw him twice, and met him in a bar in Ann Arbor. I just turned my nephew (14) onto Slime from the video. He liked the rhyming.
Frank was one of those characters whom a person either loved or hated, but one thing you can say for a self educated musician is at his death he was rated by some of the best contemporary classical composers as a genius.
Anyone who enjoyed his antics should read his autobiography done before his death (most autobiographies are done before death now that I think of it). The real Frank Zappa, Poseidon press.

now just to keep this thread on track with the OP how about a mullet comeback, anyone ready for that? :smile:

What were some popular hairstyles in the 1980s?

Some popular hairstyles in the 1980s were the big hair, side ponytail, crimped hair, mullet, and spiky hair.

Why were these hairstyles considered funny?

These hairstyles were considered funny because they were often exaggerated and over-the-top, with large amounts of volume, hairspray, and bold colors.

Did everyone in the 80s have these hairstyles?

No, not everyone in the 80s had these hairstyles. They were more commonly seen among teenagers and young adults who wanted to make a statement and be trendy.

Were there any practical reasons for these hairstyles?

Some of these hairstyles, such as the side ponytail, were practical for keeping hair out of the face while playing sports or dancing. However, most of them were purely for fashion and had no practical purpose.

Are any of these hairstyles still popular today?

Some elements of 80s hairstyles, such as big curls and crimped hair, have made a comeback in recent years. However, the overall styles are not as commonly seen today as they were in the 80s.