1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funny Definite Integral

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

So, I was playing on Wolfram Alpha, and I managed to come up with this:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral_(+infinity+*+sqrt(-1)+)^pi+e^(ix)+dx&x=0&y=0

In Tex, I believe this is...

[tex]\int_{i\infty}^{\pi}e^{i x} dx = i[/tex]

However, I have more than one problem with it, and I want to know if my problems are actually problems. First, the bounds. Can you multiply a transfinite number by i? Would the answer make any sense whatsoever? And can you integrate from an imaginary point to a real point?

Actually, those bounds are the only problems I have... But they do look problematic. Can someone tell me if this integral is a real integral?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2
    The function [itex]f(z) = e^{i z}[/itex] has an absolute value:

[tex]
    |f(z)| = |e^{i z}| = e^{\Re(i z)} = e^{-\Im{z}}
    [/tex]

which tends to zero as [itex]\Im{z} \rightarrow +\infty[/itex]. The lower bound on your integral is exactly like that. Also, the function is entire. Therefore, the integral

[tex]
    F(z) = \int_{\gamma}{f(z') \, dz'}
    [/tex]

has the same value for all contours [itex]\gamma[/itex] starting from an infinitely high point in the upper half--plane and ending anywhere in the complex plane [itex]z[/itex]. If [itex]z = x + i y[/itex], it is convenient to choose the contour as:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \gamma_{1}: \ z = i t, \infty > t \ge y, \ dz = i \, dt \\

\gamma_{2}: \ z = t + i y, 0 \le t \le x, \ dz = dt
    [/tex]

and:

[tex]
    F(z) = \int_{\infty}^{y}{e^{i i t} \, i \, dt} + \int_{0}^{x}{e^{i (t + i y)} \, dt}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    F(z) = -i \, \int_{y}^{\infty}{e^{-t} \, dt} + e^{-y} \, \int_{0}^{x}{e^{i t} \, dt}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    F(z) = -i \, \left.(-e^{-t})\right|^{\infty}_{0} + e^{-y} \, \left.\frac{e^{i t}}{i}\right|^{x}_{0}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    F(z) = -i + e^{-y} \frac{e^{i x} - 1}{i} = e^{-y} \, \sin x - i \, [ 1 + e^{-y} \, (\cos x - 1) ]
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook