Is this Definite Integral with Imaginary Bounds Real?

In summary, the integral in question is a real integral and can be evaluated using the function f(z) = e^{i z}. The lower bound is defined as a contour starting from an infinitely high point in the upper half-plane, and the function f(z) is entire, meaning the integral has the same value for all contours. The final solution is e^{-y} \, \sin x - i \, [ 1 + e^{-y} \, (\cos x - 1) ].
Char. Limit
Gold Member
So, I was playing on Wolfram Alpha, and I managed to come up with this:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral_(+infinity+*+sqrt(-1)+)^pi+e^(ix)+dx&x=0&y=0

In Tex, I believe this is...

[tex]\int_{i\infty}^{\pi}e^{i x} dx = i[/tex]

However, I have more than one problem with it, and I want to know if my problems are actually problems. First, the bounds. Can you multiply a transfinite number by i? Would the answer make any sense whatsoever? And can you integrate from an imaginary point to a real point?

Actually, those bounds are the only problems I have... But they do look problematic. Can someone tell me if this integral is a real integral?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The function [itex]f(z) = e^{i z}[/itex] has an absolute value:

[tex]
|f(z)| = |e^{i z}| = e^{\Re(i z)} = e^{-\Im{z}}
[/tex]

which tends to zero as [itex]\Im{z} \rightarrow +\infty[/itex]. The lower bound on your integral is exactly like that. Also, the function is entire. Therefore, the integral

[tex]
F(z) = \int_{\gamma}{f(z') \, dz'}
[/tex]

has the same value for all contours [itex]\gamma[/itex] starting from an infinitely high point in the upper half--plane and ending anywhere in the complex plane [itex]z[/itex]. If [itex]z = x + i y[/itex], it is convenient to choose the contour as:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\gamma_{1}: \ z = i t, \infty > t \ge y, \ dz = i \, dt \\

\gamma_{2}: \ z = t + i y, 0 \le t \le x, \ dz = dt
[/tex]

and:

[tex]
F(z) = \int_{\infty}^{y}{e^{i i t} \, i \, dt} + \int_{0}^{x}{e^{i (t + i y)} \, dt}
[/tex]

[tex]
F(z) = -i \, \int_{y}^{\infty}{e^{-t} \, dt} + e^{-y} \, \int_{0}^{x}{e^{i t} \, dt}
[/tex]

[tex]
F(z) = -i \, \left.(-e^{-t})\right|^{\infty}_{0} + e^{-y} \, \left.\frac{e^{i t}}{i}\right|^{x}_{0}
[/tex]

[tex]
F(z) = -i + e^{-y} \frac{e^{i x} - 1}{i} = e^{-y} \, \sin x - i \, [ 1 + e^{-y} \, (\cos x - 1) ]
[/tex]

What is a "Funny Definite Integral"?

A "Funny Definite Integral" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve between two points. It is called "funny" because it often involves unusual or unexpected methods to solve the integral.

Why is it called a "Funny Definite Integral"?

The term "funny" is used to describe the unique and unconventional methods used to solve these types of integrals. It is a playful term that highlights the creativity and cleverness involved in solving them.

What makes a "Funny Definite Integral" different from a regular definite integral?

A "Funny Definite Integral" often involves solving the integral using unconventional methods, such as clever substitutions or creative manipulations of the equation. This makes it different from a regular definite integral, which is typically solved using standard integration techniques.

Are "Funny Definite Integrals" important in real-world applications?

While they may not have direct real-world applications, "Funny Definite Integrals" are important for developing critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. They also serve as a fun and challenging exercise for mathematicians and students alike.

Can anyone solve a "Funny Definite Integral"?

Yes, anyone with a solid understanding of calculus and integration techniques can attempt to solve a "Funny Definite Integral". However, it often requires creative thinking and a willingness to try unconventional methods. As such, it can be a challenging but rewarding experience for those who attempt it.