Understanding the Chain Rule in Vector Potential Derivations

In summary, we are given a vector potential A that can be expressed as A = B\displaystyle\int^d_0 I(t')\,dt' where d = t - z/c and B is a constant equal to 1/2 mu0 x c. To calculate the magnetic field from this vector potential, we use the equation \vec B = \nabla \times A = \frac{dA}{dz}\vec j, where d/dz is the partial differential. The result is \vec B = CI(t-(z/c))\vec j, where C = +/- 1/2 x (permeability constant). To solve for this, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus by
bman!!
we are given some component of a vector potential A

[tex]

A = B\displaystyle\int^d_0 I(t')\,dt'

[/tex]

where d = t -z/c
and B = constant=1/2 mu0 (permeability constant) x c (speed of light)

the derivation then wants me to calculate the magnetic field from this vector potential which is

[tex]
\vec B = \nabla \times A = \frac{d\(A}{dz} \vec j

[/tex]

where d/dz is meant to be partial diff

the result that is arrived at is

[tex] \vec B = CI(t-(z/c))\vec j[/tex]

where

C= +/- 1/2 x(permeability constant)

the step eludes me. i was fine until this point. i tried hitting it with the chain rule, and i suspect that the solution involves this somehow.

p.s. I'm new to latex, so if you think some information is missing, or the equations are simply not showing, It'd be great if someone could tell me, cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please clarify. You say that d= t- z/c but you haven't told us what that has to do with I(t').

… funny ? … it's the way you tell it … !

bman! said:
[tex]A = B\displaystyle\int^d_0 I(t')\,dt'[/tex]

Hi bman! :smile:

You want ∂/∂z of [tex]\displaystyle\int^s_0 I(t')\,dt'[/tex] , where s depends on z.

(I'm using s instead of d, because d is ridiculous when you have derivatives. :frown:)

This is simply I(s) times (∂s/∂z).

Hint: Put I(t') = (d/dt')(J(t')). :smile:

tiny-tim said:

You want ∂/∂z of [tex]\displaystyle\int^s_0 I(t')\,dt'[/tex] , where s depends on z.

(I'm using s instead of d, because d is ridiculous when you have derivatives. :frown:)

This is simply I(s) times (∂s/∂z).

Hint: Put I(t') = (d/dt')(J(t')). :smile:

I'm assuming J(t') is the higher inegral function (from fundamental theorem of calculus:

[tex]\int_a^x f(t)dt= F(x) - F(a)[/tex]

where [tex] \frac{d}{dx}F(x) = f(x)[/tex]

i'm sorry for being really dense, but i always draw a blank with this type stuff.

so you eventually end up with ∂J/∂z = ∂s/∂z times ∂J(s)/∂z but ∂J(s)/∂s is just f(s), which is just I(t-z/c) from FTOC?

?

it seems so simple, but things like this just would never come to me in an exam.

… one step at a time … !

bman! said:
… so you eventually end up with ∂J/∂z = ∂s/∂z times ∂J(s)/∂z but ∂J(s)/∂s is just f(s), which is just I(t-z/c) from FTOC?

it seems so simple, but things like this just would never come to me in an exam.

Yeah … jus' the good ol' FTOC!

In an exam, remember that the examiners intend each question to be reasonably easy (unless there's only one question on the paper).

So just assume it's easy, and do it one step at a time!

In this case, you'd see the s (or d), and think "I obviously need to differentiate this … but how?", and then ask yourself what the s is there for. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

Yeah … jus' the good ol' FTOC!

In an exam, remember that the examiners intend each question to be reasonably easy (unless there's only one question on the paper).

So just assume it's easy, and do it one step at a time!

In this case, you'd see the s (or d), and think "I obviously need to differentiate this … but how?", and then ask yourself what the s is there for. :smile:

cheers mate, I am just working through some electromagnetism, and stuff like this crops ups every half a page, where its simple to show, but still somewhat tricky, and the guy who wrote my notes, as clearly considered it trivial so he just doesn't bother showing the steps involved.

Im sure i'll have more questions soon enough ;)

1. What is "funny differentiation"?

"Funny differentiation" refers to the process of finding the derivative of a function that involves humor or comedy elements. It is a way of making mathematical concepts more engaging and entertaining.

2. Is "funny differentiation" a legitimate concept in mathematics?

Yes, "funny differentiation" is a valid approach to teaching and learning calculus. It can help students understand and remember mathematical concepts in a more enjoyable way.

3. Who came up with the idea of "funny differentiation"?

The concept of "funny differentiation" is not attributed to one specific person. It is a teaching technique that has been used by various educators to make calculus more engaging for students.

4. Can "funny differentiation" be used in other branches of mathematics?

Yes, the concept of "funny differentiation" can be applied to other areas of mathematics such as algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. The use of humor can make any subject more interesting and accessible.

5. Are there any resources available for learning about "funny differentiation"?

Yes, there are several online resources, books, and videos that demonstrate the use of "funny differentiation" in teaching calculus. These materials can be helpful for both students and teachers looking to incorporate humor into their math lessons.