Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funny empathy test for you guys

Tags:
  1. Jul 6, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, out of sheer boredom.
    But the third pic in 'people yawning' was magnificent: what a disguise !
    And I also think the composers may wel fail the idiot test they advertise at the end: "scientifical' . Ha !

4. Jul 6, 2016 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I had 34 out of 80 what ever that means.

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4
    "Scientifical"...really?

Anyway, I didn't yawn; I guess I'm a certified psychopath. :)

6. Jul 6, 2016 #5
    I got 21:eek:

7. Jul 7, 2016 #6
    If it makes you feel better, I got 17. If I saw someone cry, I would feel awful and probably try to comfort them. I also always try to put myself in someone else's shoes. The problem is I suck at detecting social cues. I have a very dry sense of humor that often offends people. Because of that, I prefer to be alone.

I admit, I do prefer non-human animals to humans.

8. Jul 7, 2016 #7
    I am exactly like that. I think the name of the test is a bit midleading.

9. Jul 7, 2016 #8
    I may have a problem, I only yawned when I saw the dog yawn.

10. Jul 7, 2016 #9

Ibix

Science Advisor

Also, "...lack the ability to emphasise and recognise the emotions of others". How does "emphasise" fit into that sentence? Shouldn't it be "empathise"? Or am I missing something.

I get infected by yawning in real life, but had absolutely no reaction to the ones in the video. My suspicion is that I see it as staged, so there's no social cue to respond to.

11. Jul 7, 2016 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"You’'re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’'s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating it's legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’'t, not without your help. But you'’re not helping. Why is that?"

12. Jul 8, 2016 #11
    I got 10/80 on the empathy test

13. Jul 10, 2016 #12
    According to the sources listed at the bottom either Borat or Ali G had a hand in that test. Which goes some way to explaining the erratic results.

14. Jul 10, 2016 #13

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Many questions are so similar, I don't see how having all of them would improve the accuracy of the test. Some of them are strange.
    Even ignoring that humans are animals: Context? Do I prefer a street or a bottle of water? Well, depends on where I am, where I want to go and how thirsty I am.
    Everyone does every night (or more precisely, when they sleep). What a strange question.
    No one does. We make tiny decisions all the time. Like, every second.

15. Jul 10, 2016 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you change some of your answers to some of the questions, the score doesn't change. So I guess some questions are not necessary for some reason? I don't really understand the entire scoring of the test.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted