Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funny names

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All true...

A gynecologist named Lichman
    A Financial manager named Joe Economy
    Harry Dong. His parents immigrated from China after WWII. They idolized President Harry Truman
    Short Electric Company.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a related thought
    Although I meant to ask about anadromous fish, I onced asked a biologist if there were any androgenous fish concerns. He thought that was pretty funny.

Also good, Fudruckers Restaurant. That's a good name. :rofl:

4. Dec 6, 2004 #3
    this isn't really a person's name, but there's a gynecology clinic in our town called "beaver clinic." i can't help but laugh at that.

the dean of my school's name is russel de kock. he likes to be called, "russ." OH THE JOKES WE HAVE TOLD.

5. Dec 6, 2004 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

har har har har!!!! :rofl:

6. Dec 6, 2004 #5
    I have seen a liquor store named; Family Liquor. I got a real chuckle from seeing that.

7. Dec 6, 2004 #6

I love Fudruckers, great place. Only place i've never not been able to complain about my burgers. THeonlone i've ever seen though was in sacramento, they've disappeared from southern california.

8. Dec 6, 2004 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I keep hearing these ads on the radio for a dermatologist named Dr. Zizmore! (Not sure if I spelled it right, but that's how it sounds).

9. Dec 6, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It sounds like missed opportunity for Norman Rockwell.

10. Dec 6, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like Philthy McNasty's :biggrin:

There's a guy here by the name of David Cox, but everyone prefers to call him Dixon :wink:

On a side note, I like the Hooters caption "delightfully tacky, yet unrefined"...it's totally wacky :bugeye:

11. Dec 7, 2004 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've actually known a "Dick Whacker", Dusty Rhodes, Paige Turner, I'm not kidding. There was another, maybe I'll remember it later.

Edit: true, Governor Hogg of Texas named his daughter Ima - Ima Hogg. Not true is that he named another daughter Ura.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  12. Dec 7, 2004 #11
    [​IMG]

And quite the looker too!! :surprised :surprised

13. Dec 7, 2004 #12

plover

Homework Helper

The current nominee for executive director of the CIA is K. Dusty Foggo which seems a great name for a spook.

14. Dec 7, 2004 #13

Tsu

Gold Member

Had a friend in high school named Rusty Irons.

Loved to eat at Dirty Dingus McGee's in Colfax, CA.

15. Dec 7, 2004 #14
    Dirty Dick's Crab House in the Outer Banks, NC (T-Shirts say "I got crabs at Dirty Dick's")

My dad told me of a family with the last name of "Sass." To see the problem, put any first name in front of it: Bill Sass, Mary Sass, etc.

I knew a guy named Frank Earnest. I noted once that his name is redundant.

I always thought that it was a good move by singer Richard Marks', to not go with the traditional nickname for Richard (he'd be Dick Marks).

I know a company called "Sparks Electric." The guy's name is Sparks.

16. Dec 7, 2004 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There was a Dusty Rhodes that played baseball for the New York Giants back in the 50's.

About halfway between Anderson, Alaska (home of the Anderson Blue Grass Festival) and Fairbanks, Alaska, there's a bar called "Skinny Dick's". Lots of crude mementos you can buy there (plus everyone who comes in signs their name on a dollar bill and tacks it the ceiling - some retirement plan someday, eh).

Best name for a Mexian Restaraunt (somewhere in New England): C. O. Jones
    No one caught it first time around, but when the owner tried to get a license to open a second restaraunt, they turned him down.

Best baseball name: Scott Leius. One of the nicknames that never made it to ESPN: Scott "Will Your Sister" Leius

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  17. Dec 7, 2004 #16
    Best football player i ever heard of was, Ali Dia and he was pretty dia.

18. Dec 7, 2004 #17

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Mathematician Ivan Niven. (Can you hear the Simpsons' scientist guy saying his name?)

19. Dec 7, 2004 #18

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was a girl who went to my school named Velvet Lipps. I am not kidding. She was engaged to be married right after graduation. One of my friends asked her in jest if the wedding was so soon after graduation so she could hurry up and change her name.

With the straightest of faces, she replied, "Yes".

20. Dec 7, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was in San Diego, there was a steakhouse called "The Strip Club" right next to a bar called, "Dick's Last Stand." Either name was humorous, but having them side by side was perfect!

21. Dec 7, 2004 #20
    Aside from the obvious that the name is not mexican...i don't get it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?