Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funny observations from Earth

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    Hi all!

This is my first post here, so please correct me if I am doing anything wrong. Before I posted this thread here, I read some of the other threads in the subject "General Astronomy", and now I am not sure, that this thread blends in with the other articles, since my question is far more simple than questions in other threads, but anyway...

I have always wonderd why the sun and the moon looks bigger when rising and setting, than when they are highest on the sky. If anyone could give me a clue or answers the question, I will be very thankful.

Best regards
    dane502

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think thats generally regarded as being an optical illusion. Other theories about atmospheric lensing have been rejected. Here is an enormous article about the whole phenomenon.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/3d/moonillu.htm

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    Welcome to PF Dane502,

Isn't it considered opposite?

5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by opposite? As in the moon would appear smaller at the horizon?

Atmospheric lensing would cause a slight decrease in the apparent size of the objects but it is well known that in actual fact they appear bigger to us despite this. Have a look at the link I provided. There is also a summary on bad astronomy with a couple more links about the moon illusion.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/moonbig.html

6. Apr 28, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You sure about that? When learning celestial navigation, we used an altitude correction that traced the "true" position of an object below where it was viewed to be. Translation: it stretches vertically (at the very least) as it approaches the horizon.

7. Apr 28, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?