Why do the sun and moon look bigger when rising and setting?

In summary, Dane502 asks why the sun and moon appear bigger when they are setting or rising, and explains that it is an optical illusion caused by atmospheric lensing. The first website he linked to has a good explanation and there are some photographs illustrating the effect.
dane502
Hi all!

This is my first post here, so please correct me if I am doing anything wrong. Before I posted this thread here, I read some of the other threads in the subject "General Astronomy", and now I am not sure, that this thread blends in with the other articles, since my question is far more simple than questions in other threads, but anyway...

I have always wonderd why the sun and the moon looks bigger when rising and setting, than when they are highest on the sky. If anyone could give me a clue or answers the question, I will be very thankful.

Best regards
dane502

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think that's generally regarded as being an optical illusion. Other theories about atmospheric lensing have been rejected. Here is an enormous article about the whole phenomenon.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/3d/moonillu.htm

Welcome to PF Dane502,

Isn't it considered opposite?

mubashirmansoor said:
Welcome to PF Dane502,

Isn't it considered opposite?

What do you mean by opposite? As in the moon would appear smaller at the horizon?

Atmospheric lensing would cause a slight decrease in the apparent size of the objects but it is well known that in actual fact they appear bigger to us despite this. Have a look at the link I provided. There is also a summary on bad astronomy with a couple more links about the moon illusion.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/moonbig.html

Kurdt said:
Atmospheric lensing would cause a slight decrease in the apparent size of the objects...
You sure about that? When learning celestial navigation, we used an altitude correction that traced the "true" position of an object below where it was viewed to be. Translation: it stretches vertically (at the very least) as it approaches the horizon.

1. What are some of the funniest observations from Earth?

There are many funny observations from Earth, but some commonly mentioned ones include the fact that humans are the only species that cook their food, and that we use our lips to make kissing noises instead of our noses like most animals.

2. Why is it funny that we use the phrase "sleep like a baby" when babies are known for waking up frequently?

This observation is humorous because it highlights the irony in the saying. Babies are actually not known for sleeping soundly through the night, so it is funny that we use them as a comparison for a good night's sleep.

3. How do humans manage to balance on two legs when most animals have four?

This is a funny observation because it is a unique trait of humans that sets us apart from other species. Scientists believe that this adaptation developed as a way for humans to efficiently travel long distances on two legs.

4. Why is it funny that we have designated areas for animals to use the bathroom?

This observation is humorous because it highlights the strange societal norms and rules that humans have created. While animals just go whenever and wherever they need to, humans have designated specific areas for this bodily function.

5. How do humans find amusement in things like movies and books?

This observation is funny because it highlights the human ability to create and appreciate art and entertainment. Unlike other animals, humans have a strong imagination and enjoy using it to escape reality through mediums like movies and books.