Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funny or ouch?

1. Hilarious

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Ouch

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. Huh??

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    Funny or ouch??

So you come across some modern slapstick clips like this:
    for instance.

You see bloopers, people crashing in various forms into solid objects. What's your honest first reaction?

I went for 'ouch'. Can't see any humor into people getting hurt. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

trollcast

Gold Member

Re: Funny or ouch??

I went for hilarious, especially if the people in the clip are being idiots, bit of ouch sometimes but mostly hilarious.

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3

Ouch!

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4

Comedy is when you fall down a flight of stairs. Tragedy is when I stub my toe.

6. Feb 22, 2013 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A combination of OMG! and What?

7. Feb 22, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I could watch these all days lol. Too hilarious. The longboarding one was the best.

8. Feb 22, 2013 #7

Ouch!

I can't even watch these clips. Although I will admit they DO make me laugh if I see them, I hate myself for laughing as I know someone was in pain.

And for the record, I also laughed at myself when I fell off a horse because it was pure stupidity on my part, but I WAS in pain. Laughing at myself made the pain worth while.

9. Feb 22, 2013 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't watch more than a few of the clips. Makes me too uncomfortable - I either cringe or just shake my head. Not funny, to me.

10. Feb 22, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I wonder if it is a maturity / age thing? My finding this continually funny is probably just an illumination of my immaturity.

11. Feb 22, 2013 #10

It really depends on the severity of what I'm watching. Like some girl getting thrown off a merry-go-round is funny, because the most that happens to her is she maybe gets a bruise or two. But when that girl falls off the motorcycle (especially considering it wasn't her who initiated the wheelie), I recognize that she was more than likely seriously injured, and am incapable of finding too much humor in it.

I didn't vote since there wasn't an "inbetween" option.

12. Feb 22, 2013 #11

yes same here. This stuff is awful. I couldn't even make it to 30 seconds.

13. Feb 22, 2013 #12

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All three answers apply, depending on the clip. I'm only about halfway through, but my favorite so far is at about 1:50, when the snowmobile starts driving itself after the crash.

14. Feb 22, 2013 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I can watch them. Makes me uncomfortable too - I cringe and curse out loud.

Age does enter it. Even though I cringe and curse now, I can see myself doing some of those things if I were your age.

15. Feb 22, 2013 #14

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The bad ones yeah, especially when people slam their face into concrete or something.

16. Feb 23, 2013 #15

I won't be dishonest, I laughed hard at a lot of those, though not without some guilt. I might add that I laughed mostly at the ones in which nobody appeared to get seriously injured, just so no one thinks I'm sick. The funniest clip was the one with the guy doing maintenance on his car's engine, only to have much of the front of his car collapse.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  17. Feb 23, 2013 #16

Humor capitalizing on human suffering doesn't appeal to me. My opinion is real life slapstick is one of the lower tiers of comedy.

18. Feb 23, 2013 #17

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I mean it's no Charlie Chaplin slapstick but it'll do eh? :biggrin: Maybe when I'm not a teenager anymore my proclivity towards such comedy will die off.

19. Feb 23, 2013 #18

WoW This Stuff is SOOOO funny. Just can't stop laughing.

20. Feb 23, 2013 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

OMG :rofl: The motorcycle one :rofl::cry::rofl:
    It's an ouch followed by a laughter for those who appeared to be ok, but there were moments of 'what happened to the lady/guy?'

Edit: I can't vote, it's a mix of three. :biggrin:

21. Feb 23, 2013 #20

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't mind most of it except for the parts when people are getting seriously injured. BTW, more than one of those brought back memories of my younger days. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook