Funny Phish (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

jtbell

Admin
Mentor
Today my wife received an e-mail, apparently from PayPal, notifying her that a payment was being made from her PayPal account for a purchase of about $30, and with a link to click if she wanted to dispute it. But... she's never opened a PayPal account.

She was using iOS Mail on her iPad. As far as I can tell (I use iOS Mail on my iPhone, too), there's no option to view the source of a message so as to inspect the links. I had her forward the message to me, so I could open it in Gmail's web interface on my desktop Mac. As soon as I did so, I burst out laughing.

The "From" header, which on iOS mail showed only "From: PayPal", in Gmail read "From: PayPal <receipt@palepal.com>". :cool:

Choosing "view original" showed that the link to the "Resolution Center" pointed to employeeportal.net-login.com. Uh... I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Cash and carry. Cash and carry. Cash and carry.

You can't carry enough cash? You don't need it.

I love how they carefully mangle the PayPal name to palepal. That’s classic. Sometimes they write PayPal.com.xx where who knows where it really is.

Paypal probably has a fraud department. They would appreciate it if you forward the email to them.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving