Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funny Phish

1. Jun 13, 2018 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Today my wife received an e-mail, apparently from PayPal, notifying her that a payment was being made from her PayPal account for a purchase of about $30, and with a link to click if she wanted to dispute it. But... she's never opened a PayPal account.

She was using iOS Mail on her iPad. As far as I can tell (I use iOS Mail on my iPhone, too), there's no option to view the source of a message so as to inspect the links. I had her forward the message to me, so I could open it in Gmail's web interface on my desktop Mac. As soon as I did so, I burst out laughing.

The "From" header, which on iOS mail showed only "From: PayPal", in Gmail read "From: PayPal <receipt@palepal.com>". :cool:

Choosing "view original" showed that the link to the "Resolution Center" pointed to employeeportal.net-login.com. Uh... I don't think so. :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2018 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cash and carry. Cash and carry. Cash and carry.

You can't carry enough cash? You don't need it.

4. Jun 13, 2018 #3

jedishrfu

I love how they carefully mangle the PayPal name to palepal. That’s classic. Sometimes they write PayPal.com.xx where who knows where it really is.

5. Jun 13, 2018 #4

anorlunda

Paypal probably has a fraud department. They would appreciate it if you forward the email to them.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted