Funny Story about Black Holes

In summary, the protagonist has an idea for a black hole that is similar to the TARDIS, and is afraid to share it with his physics professor. He shares it with his roommate and is excited about it, but is worried about how people will react. He reads about other people who have had similar ideas and is excited and scared at the same time.
MattRob
So, yeah.

Here I am, a fledgling Undergraduate Freshman at Brigham Young University. I've been reading Brian Greene's books, and darn, do I love physics. This was the semester I decided to change my major from Mechanical Engineering to Physics-Astronomy.

Well, one night, as some of this stuff was going through my head, and me and my roommate had gone to sleep at an unusually early time (that is, about 4am), something came to mind.

Something that I had always been fascinated by was Inflationary Cosmology's insight on how a pocket of space could drop Higgs field value and creating an expanding volume of space with dropping Higgs value, resulting in a pocket of space with limited spatial extent from outside, but expanding eternally, that could have infinite volume from inside (Heh, has it ever occurred to anyone that this bears some striking resemblance to the TARDIS?).

I had wondered what these pockets of space could look like should such a situation occur in our own universe. I wondered about black holes. That's when I made the realization - that the more I thought of it, the more it seemed to match up.

I literally sprang up in bed and showered my roommate with my excitement, frantically jotting down notes. Everything that ever fell in would, from the inside, appear to suddenly appear at the beginning - like the big bang, I wrote. Time's arrow would be towards the center of the black hole from outside, and that our universe is a black hole would be the basis behind the whole holographic affair (where the amount of information in a volume of space is related to the area of that region, not its volume), and how a certain matric works out so a trajectory of imaginary dt and dx result in the two (space and time) swapping roles, Etc, etc, etc (not suggesting these ideas here, merely stating that these are the things I was thinking of and writing down at the time).

I was afraid to mention it to my physics 123 professor, though. So I hesitantly kinda sneakily asked about how these pockets would appear from outside, and kinda tried to steer the conversation in that direction. Thing is, who am I, to come up with something great? I'm just a college freshman. I was really scared to say something as audacious as "I have a groundbreaking idea," I was sure that if I did, it would be met with a great deal of - well deserved - skepticism of a very condescending variety.

That was a few months ago. I'd decided to wait until I have more mathematical tools to explore such ideas. But funny thing, I've just been reading that apparently I'm not the first to make these connections. And apparently some of these realizations that just kinda happened for me, are actually things that scientists have already discovered .

It leaves me in a really funny position, though.

On one hand, it's "Holy guacamole, I really am brilliant!" so it's kinda cool. But on the other, it's: "Well. So much for my hopes of becoming renowned in the field for making an amazing connection and discovery far above my academic level," which is kind of a killjoy. Kind of, as in a lot of, haha.

In the end, though, I'm left with: "Well, I can come up with things, so maybe next time I come up with something that I bounce on the bed at 5am for, it'll be something someone else hasn't beat me to."

I'm really posting it here, though, saying it's left me with an odd mix of emotions.

How often does this kind of thing happen in the professional field, where you're left simultaneously thrilled and completely shut down?

Perhaps this mix of emotions is proof of the Many Worlds interpretation, since both exist simultaneously yet seem mutually exclusive, haha :rolleyes:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
o.0...

I lost count of how many unlocked doors I have pried open in my life.

WannabeNewton said:
o.0...

o_O ?

Borek said:
I lost count of how many unlocked doors I have pried open in my life.

Beautiful moment in the Dr. Who finale, where you've got a room full of brilliant time-travelers who've conquered all kinds of demons and empires, saved entire worlds and done the impossible, and they're locked in a prison.

They devise this intricate plan using a device with them, to leave it by the door, scanning it for hundreds of years to find the resonance pattern for the oak wood, and put it on a subroutine, then using some time-travel trickery, they'd have it already in their possession, and just when they're about to execute this plan, someone walks in: the door was unlocked the whole time.

I always carry a set of locksmithing tools in my book bag, just in case.

In high school I thought that (n+1) choose 2 = (n+1)n/2 was an revolutionary discovery.

glueball8 said:
(n+1)n/2 was an revolutionary discovery.
Hey, I discovered it 2 years ago. That's the sum of the famous sequence I always thought about when I was a child: What will you get when you add all the numbers between 0 and 100? (Including 100)
I guessed and got that formula. I was so happy then.
I later discovered that there's a formula for doing that taught in A-levels. :redface:

When I was eleven my Mom got me the awesome book "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. I was totally hooked and read it through in a matter of days.

At one point the author wrote that the Earth is in at a very lucky distance from the sun. If it were even a little more nearer or further away we humans would not have evolved. He went to great lengths to show how "lucky" we were, writing that Moon also should also be a particular distance away etc.

I thought about this and decided that the author had it backwards! Since we humans have evolved we shouldn't be surprised to see that our surroundings appear to made just for us. If this weren't the case, we wouldn't be alive to ask such questions in the first place!

For some strange reason I thought that nobody but me had ever thought along these lines. (Perhaps I thought Bill wouldn't omit something so obvious from his book) I remember feeling really happy and trying to explain my "discovery" to my brother. I forgot all about this after two hours of video games of course :rolleyes:

Then a sometime back I found a link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle here on PF

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. This is due to the extreme curvature of space and time caused by a large amount of matter packed into a small area.

Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This includes light, matter, and even information. However, some theories suggest that certain particles can escape through quantum processes.

Do black holes really suck everything in?

No, black holes do not actively suck things in. Rather, objects and matter are drawn towards the black hole due to its strong gravitational pull. This pull increases as you get closer to the black hole's center, known as the singularity.

What happens if you fall into a black hole?

If you were to fall into a black hole, you would likely experience a phenomenon known as "spaghettification." This is where the intense gravitational pull of the black hole stretches your body into long, thin strands as you approach the singularity.

Can black holes be destroyed?

Current scientific understanding suggests that black holes cannot be destroyed. However, some theories suggest that they may eventually evaporate over a very long period of time through a process called Hawking radiation. This has yet to be proven and is still a topic of ongoing research.