Funny Student Comments: Prof Shares His Collection

In summary, the conversation is about a video of a professor showing his collection of comments from students on his teaching style. The comments range from tame ones about attractiveness to more inappropriate ones, and the group discusses the usefulness of these evaluations. They also share funny stories about evaluations they have seen in the past. Overall, the conversation is light-hearted and humorous.
Edgardo
Maybe you've already filled some of those evalution sheets where
you have to comment on your professor's teaching style.
This is a video of a professor who shows his students his "personal comments collection".

http://unapologetic.wordpress.com/2007/04/23/student-comments/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, that guy is from Singapore. Nanyang Technological University, one of the three Us we have here.

Those were pretty tame compared to some I've seen. :rofl: But, yes, it's amazing how many of the evaluations in introductory courses come back about how attractive the professor is rather than about their teaching style. The rest seem to follow the grade distribution...funny how the students getting As usually like the prof and those failing or close to failing usually don't.

The only time they're useful and really indicate a problem that needs to be addressed is when there is a common pattern or consensus among the students that breaks from the grade distribution. If all the students comment about disorganization of the lectures or that the exams seem to pull questions out of thin air or that they can never understand the professor when s/he speaks/mumbles, then those are things that need to be addressed.

Moonbear said:
Those were pretty tame compared to some I've seen. :rofl:

Care to share?

Well, I saw one for a female professor whose (presumably male) student made recommendations of the choice of undergarments he'd like to see her wearing. There were several along those lines received by that particular prof. Those were the worst of the ones I've seen. Others have been similar in commenting in attractiveness, attire, hair style, etc. Oh, other than the one from a grad student (I was pretty sure I could guess who, considering there was only one who would be bold enough to commit such a comment to paper) who commented that there should be more T&A among the TAs (this was in an evaluation of the TA training program). :rolleyes:

Of course there was also the older prof with the full white beard who frequently got comments that he looked like Papa Smurf or Santa Claus (okay, he did, but hardly helpful on evaluations).

Edgardo said:

:rolleyes: Papa Smurf doesn't wear a white hat, he wears a red one! :rofl:

(Actually, the prof I was referring to also wore red sweatpants for lecturing, which just added to the whole image...I guess it's nice when you've been lecturing so long and are so old you just don't care what you look like when you teach).

That video had me in tears. Hilarious! That prof has an excellent sense of humor. I am going to have to share this with my friends who teach.

Moonbear said:
that there should be more T&A among the TAs (this was in an evaluation of the TA training program). :rolleyes:

I agree with him. We lack that within our TA program too.

Moonbear said:
ss who, considering there was only one who would be bold enough to commit such a comment to paper) who commented that there should be more T&A among the TAs (this was in an evaluation of the TA training program). :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Epic. I couldn't agree more.

hahaha I'm going to use that one.

"Roses are red
violets are blue
the lesser your hair
the sexier you get"

some interesting student comments there

1. What inspired you to start collecting funny student comments?

I have always found humor to be a great way to relieve stress and connect with others. As a professor, I often receive amusing comments from my students and I wanted to find a way to preserve and share them with others.

2. How do you choose which student comments to include in your collection?

I try to include a variety of comments that are both funny and insightful. Sometimes, it's a comment that catches me off guard and makes me laugh, while other times it's a clever response that shows a student's unique perspective.

3. Have you ever received negative feedback from students about your collection?

No, I have not. The comments I include are all in good fun and are never meant to be hurtful or offensive. In fact, many of my students have enjoyed seeing their own comments featured in the collection.

4. What is your favorite student comment that you have collected so far?

That's a tough one! But one that stands out to me is when a student wrote, "I wish my brain had a CTRL+F function for exams." It made me laugh, but also showed the student's relatable struggle with studying for exams.

5. Do you have any advice for students who want to make their professors laugh with their comments?

My advice would be to be yourself and don't force it. The best comments come from genuine thoughts and reactions. Also, remember to always be respectful and considerate in your comments.