Funny Universal Cover: What is it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of edges of two square copies to form a torus, resulting in a space with a universal cover of two planes associated by grid lines. The homotopy of this space is determined to be K(ZxZxZx...,2) and the question is posed whether the universal cover would be trivial. The group G is also mentioned, along with the existence of a cover with fundamental group H. The example of R x S^1 covering the torus is brought up as a counterexample.
Jamma
Hello all.

For some reason or another, I've been thinking about the following space:

Take two copies of the square. Identify their edges as you would usually to form a torus, but identify them also to the corresponding edges of the counterpart sqaure (so we have two tori, joined in some way).

Maybe I should think a bit harder about what this space is, but am I right in saying that the universal cover of this space is simply a "plane of spheres"? Indeed, if it was just the one square (with identifications) the universal cover would be the plane, so it seems to me that the universal cover of this one is two planes, but where we associate the grid lines, so it might be easier imagine a plane of octahedrons.

Is what I have said correct? Would the homotopy of this space be pi_1=trivial (must be for universal cover) pi_{2}=ZxZxZxZx... pi_{n}=0 for n>2? (so this is a K(ZxZxZx...,2))

I was hoping the universal cover of this space would be trivial you see :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I'm guessing that my pi_2 could be far more complicated.

Here is another question:

Suppose I have a covering space C of a topological space X (we'll assume that X is a CW complex). If C is path connected and the fibre of the projection map is infinite, must C be the universal cover of X?

I can't think of any counterexamples to this.

Doesn't R x S^1 cover the torus?

Sorry, that was a really dumb question- given a space X with fundamental group G, for any subgroup H<G there exists a cover of X with fundamental group H, of course including H infinite :/

So yes, the cylinder is a good example of such a cover.

What is a Funny Universal Cover?

A Funny Universal Cover is a humorous, lighthearted version of a traditional book cover. It is often used for parody or satire and can include comical illustrations or text.

Why are Funny Universal Covers used?

Funny Universal Covers are used to add a humorous element to a book cover, often for marketing purposes. They can also be used to make a serious or intimidating book seem more approachable and engaging.

How are Funny Universal Covers created?

Funny Universal Covers are typically created by graphic designers or illustrators who have a knack for humor. They may use popular culture references, puns, or clever illustrations to create a funny and eye-catching cover.

Are Funny Universal Covers effective?

Funny Universal Covers can be effective in grabbing the attention of potential readers and making a book stand out among others. However, they may not always accurately represent the content of the book and may not be suitable for all genres or audiences.

Can Funny Universal Covers be used for any type of book?

Funny Universal Covers can be used for any type of book, but they are most commonly seen in fiction and non-fiction books with a humorous tone. They may not be appropriate for serious or academic works.