Funny USB Gadgets - Air Dart Launcher & Beverage Cooler

• Thread starter Stevedye56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny Usb
In summary, USB powered air dart launchers are a popular and funny USB gadget. Third party and proprietary software is a major headache with converter software occasionally locking up. Industrial world still uses serial comms, so USB to serial converters are a nightmare.
Stevedye56
After searching for a flash drive on the internet I came upon this.
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb_air_darts.html
A USB powered air dart launcher with software which allows the user to aim it and launch the darts via computer. I also found a USB beverage cooler which I though was equally as cool. Has anyone else found any other funny USB gadgets?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know of one that is so funny it makes me want to cry. There is an entire industrial world that still uses serial comms. Unlike Microsoft users, industry requires that the technology chosen will operate for ten or twenty years or more. As a result, there is still gobs of serial out there, and just about everyone who does what I do owns the same computer because very few still offer a serial port.

The other day I saw my first USB to serial converter, which will certainly be a nightmare to manage with third party and proprietary software. Half the time getting comms to work is a job in its own right. USB to serial will no doubt cause no end of headaches - and from time to time, it won't work at all and we will be scrambling to find old computers to talk with relatively new industrial systems.

This is not good. I can only hope and pray that Dell will continue to recognize the market and provide an option for systems integrators who will need serial for at least another ten years. "USB to serial" are the scariest three words that I've heard in years.

Of course, the converter that I saw didn't work. The software kept locking up.

Stevedye56 said:
A USB powered air dart launcher with software which allows the user to aim it and launch the darts via computer.
I must have one: Do they ship to the US?

russ_watters said:

You can order them on websites such as thinkgeek.com

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:

Yes! I am putting in my order in this weekend!

Ivan Seeking said:
I know of one that is so funny it makes me want to cry. There is an entire industrial world that still uses serial comms. Unlike Microsoft users, industry requires that the technology chosen will operate for ten or twenty years or more. As a result, there is still gobs of serial out there, and just about everyone who does what I do owns the same computer because very few still offer a serial port.

The other day I saw my first USB to serial converter, which will certainly be a nightmare to manage with third party and proprietary software. Half the time getting comms to work is a job in its own right. USB to serial will no doubt cause no end of headaches - and from time to time, it won't work at all and we will be scrambling to find old computers to talk with relatively new industrial systems.

This is not good. I can only hope and pray that Dell will continue to recognize the market and provide an option for systems integrators who will need serial for at least another ten years. "USB to serial" are the scariest three words that I've heard in years.

Of course, the converter that I saw didn't work. The software kept locking up.

I agree, it sounds like a major bottleneck even if it works.

Stevedye56 said:
Yes! I am putting in my order in this weekend!

Don't forget to replace the Nerf tubes with functional model rockets. You might want to add heat shielding to the launcher, though.

Danger said:
Don't forget to replace the Nerf tubes with functional model rockets. You might want to add heat shielding to the launcher, though.

I used to have some model rockets that were legal to launch in my backyard. The maximum height was approximately fifty feet. Maybe I'll try that. No, just kidding, that's asking for trouble. I think it would be cool to use Nerf darts because they would stick to the computer screen. :rofl:

Edit: This wasn't the USB drink cooler I was originally talking about, but this one is a lot cooler.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/21/usb-mini-fridge-keeps-the-dorks-cool/

Last edited:

What is a Funny USB gadget?

A Funny USB gadget is a small electronic device that can be connected to a computer or other electronic device via a USB port. These gadgets are designed to be entertaining or humorous and often serve a functional purpose as well.

What is an Air Dart Launcher?

An Air Dart Launcher is a USB gadget that launches foam darts using compressed air. It is typically controlled by a remote or computer program, making it a fun and interactive toy for both kids and adults.

How does the Beverage Cooler function as a USB gadget?

The Beverage Cooler is a USB gadget that uses a thermoelectric cooling system to chill a can or bottle of beverage. It is powered by a USB connection, making it a convenient and portable way to keep your drink cold while using your computer.

Are Funny USB gadgets safe to use?

Yes, Funny USB gadgets are generally safe to use when used as directed. However, it is important to follow all safety instructions and use caution when operating any electronic device.

Can I use Funny USB gadgets on any computer?

Most Funny USB gadgets are compatible with both Windows and Mac computers, but it is always best to check the product specifications before purchasing. Some gadgets may also require additional software or drivers to function properly.