News Funny video

Zero

Nice to know Americans are so smart..."How many Eiffel Towers are there in Paris?"

"What state does KFC come from?"
 

kat

12
0
Was this actually on CNN? (I don't usually watch T.V.)
If so,they've taken a sampling of the obviously least educated people to be found on the streets of the U.S. and offered them up as a true representative of the intelligence of the people here. This is insulting. These are questions my 10 year old knew the answers to. In fact, she was rather surprised at the stupidity of these people.
If this is being offered as a representative sampling of U.S. intelligence to the world at large, it would go a long way at explaining some of the views the world holds towards us.
I would suggest that any country in the world would appear to be just as ignorant if one were to sink to the same tactics as they apparently have in presenting their "news".
If you're from the U.S., instead of seeing it as humorous you might want to be a bit outraged that you, as well as the entire population, are being displayed as uneducated and entirely ignorant with such tactics. If your not from the U.S. you might want to consider why you're being given "news" such as this.
 
17,540
7,146
I take it as comedy. It obviously isn't a representation of americans.
 

kat

12
0
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I take it as comedy. It obviously isn't a representation of americans.
I would also take it as comedy if it weren't that it appears to have been taken from a live broadcast that would have been shown on international televisions and viewed by those who would not know, from experience, that this is not a clear representation of Americans. I think Americans should become savvy as to how they are presented to the world through the media and how that effects world opinion of them.
 

Zero

Originally posted by kat
I would also take it as comedy if it weren't that it appears to have been taken from a live broadcast that would have been shown on international televisions and viewed by those who would not know, from experience, that this is not a clear representation of Americans. I think Americans should become savvy as to how they are presented to the world through the media and how that effects world opinion of them.
Wanna bet that isn't a clear representation of Americans?!? You should take a hard look at reality, alot of Americans are really, truly, bone-deep ignorant. Not stupid, just not knowledgable about what would be considered 'basic facts'.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by Zero
Wanna bet that isn't a clear representation of Americans?!? You should take a hard look at reality, alot of Americans are really, truly, bone-deep ignorant. Not stupid, just not knowledgable about what would be considered 'basic facts'.
There is an entire class of people for which matters like these have little to no significance in their lives. They are too busy surviving.

Note also that America is the great melting pot.

Could this represent the world just as well?
 

Zero

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
There is an entire class of people for which matters like these have little to no significance in their lives. They are too busy surviving.

Note also that America is the great melting pot.

Could this represent the world just as well?
Actually, I think that some countries are preobably better off...especially, like it or not, poorer countries that don't have 500-channel satellite TV, but do have newspapers and libraries.

I like the way Michael Moore puts it: Americans are at least as capapble of being insightful and knowledgable as anyone else, all you have to do is listen to a sports radio call-in show to know that Americans can remember facts and figures and dates, and put them together in brilliant ways. The problem is in what we choose to be knowledgable about...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Zero

And, why are we so serious about this, anyways?!? It is just a funny sort of thing, you know?
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by Zero
And, why are we so serious about this, anyways?!? It is just a funny sort of thing, you know?
Well, I don't think many other cultures would percieve this as humor. Personally, it made me want to run through the streets screaming: Yes this is why Bush was elected!!!.


Edit: I looked just like your avatar after watching this.
 
Last edited:

Zero

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Well, I don't think many other cultures would percieve this as humor. Personally, it made me want to run through the streets screaming: Yes this is why Bush was elected!!!.


Edit: I looked just like your avatar after watching this.
LOL!

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
 

BoulderHead

I saw something similar on a couple episodes of the Tonight Show when they had their Jaywalking feature. The truth is there are a great many people who know little outside their own seemingly (to someone else) narrow range of interests. One example; not everyone has a desire to get politically active, running about nailing signs on telephone poles. “I’d rather be fishing” is a bumper sticker that comes to mind.

At that site they used the film for a specific political agenda, but in reality it applies to them all;

“Liberty can not be preserved without general knowledge among people."
- John Adams

I think the quote from Mr. Adams is apt. I also think it easy to make anyone look foolish on film.

[edit]
I got a chuckle out of it anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by BoulderHead
I also think it easy to make anyone look foolish on film.
This is true. Also, many people will go dumb when put in front of a camera or audience - basic stage fright.
 

kat

12
0
Originally posted by BoulderHead

they used the film for a specific political agenda
This was my point, exactly, it was on CNN, apparently during the news hour..not midnight entertainment. If I'm incorrect about this assumption, please correct me.

Zero-
As for this being indicative of the American people, I would say it is indicative of a certain percentage of American people, not indicative of 100% as this film would suggest. So, yeah I would bet " bet that isn't a clear representation of Americans" In fact, if you think it is a clear representation I would suggest you widen your circle a bit. The Americans I associate with on a daily basis are not this ignorant by a long shot.
 

Zero

Originally posted by kat
This was my point, exactly, it was on CNN, apparently during the news hour..not midnight entertainment. If I'm incorrect about this assumption, please correct me.

Zero-
As for this being indicative of the American people, I would say it is indicative of a certain percentage of American people, not indicative of 100% as this film would suggest. So, yeah I would bet " bet that isn't a clear representation of Americans" In fact, if you think it is a clear representation I would suggest you widen your circle a bit. The Americans I associate with on a daily basis are not this ignorant by a long shot.
ITS A JOKE!!!
 

kat

12
0

Zero

I don't know if it was on CNN, but even if it weas, it was still funny!
 
Am I the only one who can't see the video?
 

LURCH

Science Advisor
2,546
117
DD, I e-mailed the link to several friends, and many of them said they couldn't see it. Do you have Real One movie player?

Kat, there was a time when I would have said the same thing you did, about this being an innacurate representation of Americans, in fact I did say it about an astronomy quiz. Then I asked the same questions of some of my coworkers, and actually got worse results than the survey! Now I have to admit, these peolpe may really be typical of the average.

I have to admit, I was a little annoyed that someone had to throw in the question, "is this why Bush is our president?". Then I realised that it was almost certainly written by a democrat, and therefore it is a safe bet that this same individual is fond of repeating the old refrain: "Gore won the popular vote". I love irony !
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Zero

Originally posted by LURCH
Then I realised that it was almost certainly written by a democrat, and therefore it is a safe bet that this same individual is fond of repeating the old refrain: "Gore won the popular vote". I love irony !
Got a problem with the facts? Apparently, as this little informal survey shows, so do many Americans!
 

LURCH

Science Advisor
2,546
117
Originally posted by Zero
Got a problem with the facts? Apparently, as this little informal survey shows, so do many Americans!
Not at all! The idea is that Bush got ellected because American voters are stupid. This, then, gives an equally good explanation for why Gore won the popular vote!

But my favorite is the guy pondering the depths of the question, "where is the Berlin Wall?".
 

Zero

Originally posted by LURCH
Not at all! The idea is that Bush got ellected because American voters are stupid. This, then, gives an equally good explanation for why Gore won the popular vote!

But my favorite is the guy pondering the depths of the question, "where is the Berlin Wall?".
LOL, I get ya...I'm not used to seeing much humor around here!!

My favorite was the guy asked about the state where KFC comes from...did he not know that "Kentucky" is a state?
 

Tsu

Gold Member
353
63
Originally posted by kat
Was this actually on CNN?
If you look up at the top of the web page, you'll see that it comes from a site called the Information Clearinghouse touting "Things you WON'T see on CNN".

The accents of the anchor people were British sounding (from what I could tell), so I'm assuming it has been shown around the world for the most part - quite an embarressment IMHO. It has been fairly well established from the many international news broadcasts that I watch that Americans are about the most UNPOPULAR folks on the planet these days. This tape certainly helps that along right nice, now, doesn't it?
 

Tsu

Gold Member
353
63
Originally posted by kat
If so,they've taken a sampling of the obviously least educated people to be found on the streets of the U.S. and offered them up as a true representative of the intelligence of the people here. This is insulting.
Insulting or not, when it gets right down to the nitty-gritty, it really doesn't matter what sampling they used or what political agenda they are pushing - the impact on the general world populace is the same - a BIG NEGATIVE about ('stupid') Americans!!! Jeez.
 

Related Threads for: Funny video

  • Posted
2
Replies
29
Views
4K
  • Posted
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
6
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
22
Views
3K
  • Poll
  • Posted
Replies
10
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
7
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
1K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top