Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funtional Group

1. Dec 30, 2014 #1
    Dear Members,

We are studying GraphAne. I need to know a functional group on graphEne which on breaking from "C attaches with "H" of environmental hydrogen and the other "H" attaches with the "C" i.e; Hydoregenation of graphane. The new product must be higher in energy (unstable product). I know many examples but the end product is always stable in w.r.t Reactants.
    Expecting a warm response.
    Best Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you have any sort of history/preparation of your graphene specimen(s)? That's going to be a major determinant of the "edge" chemistry.

4. Jan 1, 2015 #3
    thanks for following this. We are studying graphene and graphane related structures theoretically. We need such a functional group to explain a stability issue.

5. Jan 1, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, "theoretical" graphene. At which point you can hang vinyl, acetylene, allene, or any other simple unsaturated hydrocarbon on the edges if you're trying to avoid free radicals on boundary carbon. You might also look at "reentrant" configurations or "embayments" and possibilities for "stabilized" radicals similar to the triphenylmethyl radical in equilibrium with hexaphenyl ethane, or radical cation/anion pair possibilities (tropylium, and can't come up with anion possibilities at the moment).

6. Jan 1, 2015 #5
    Thank You Bystander for the help. Wishing you a happy new year

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook