1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Furnace-Belt Heat transfer

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    Hi, I need help tackling this problem and I wanted help since I feel lost.

I have a probe running through a belt-furnace that has multiple stages for heating, I know the temperature of the oven at any given time (in minutes), the oven takes 8 hours and the Temperature profile looks like this:
    http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9382/capturexyg.png [Broken]
    http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9382/capturexyg.png [Broken]

I have to make a probe that can withstand that amount of heat, the part where I get lost is that I dont know how (or what) to calculate?

like if I want to get the Heat transfer from the oven to the probe how do I do that? (to see if it will melt) I know it should be
    Q= Qconduction + Qradiation
    (I am assuming conduction instead of convection, since the probe will be moving very slowly and therefore can treat the air as still)

I know the surface temperature of the probe as it enters (room temperature). should I get
    over 400 Q's and add them up? (I can use excel) or should I get some average temperature? and get Q based on that?
    If I use Qconduction = k T1-T2/x
    what is T1 and T2? (I can assume they are the surface temperature and furnace temperature, but this will be changing over time), and what about x? is it the distance from where to where? I mean the whole furnace is at whatever temperature, so how do I find the heat transferred to the probe?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2
    Why do you want to know the temperature of the probe. Does it not get up to 1200 degrees? Shouldn't the probe temperature be very close to the immediate surrounding temperature within the furnace (otherwise, why are you using a probe).

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    its not the temperature, I want to know the heat, yes at some point the probe would get to 1200 degrees, but the point of this problem is to select materials , what I want ot know is the HEAT FLUX
    how do I calculate it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted