Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Further from Earth

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    Ok... so Im looking for some direction and perhaps a Readers Digest style of simplicity in response... I do not think "time" slows as "traveler" gains further distance from Earth. (as I am not committed to saying; "time slowed"... rather I am looking for the, (if any) theory that touches upon the effects of time (in measure) as a "traveler" (could be light, if need be... However, I would like to consider the effect on the possibility of people), traveled further from Earth's surface.

Anyone got anything?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hi Attheotherend, welcome to PF

I got confused. What was the question?

4. Jul 30, 2009 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Well the prediction from General Relativity would be that clocks near the earth's surface run slower than those farther away because they are embedded deeper in the potential well. This effect is very real and has been demonstrated experimentally.

5. Jul 30, 2009 #4
    Thanks

First off... thanks for the 'welcome' secondly...
    Q. Where do I find a theory on what happens to "time" (and the Traveler) as One travels further in distance from the earths surface. (i.e speed, measurable perception)

... and furthermore thanks to Nabeshin... I think I was understood (which is alway helpful but not always the case, as I am all to well familiar with) :)

6. Jul 30, 2009 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The appropriate theory would indeed be General Relativity as Nabeshin mentioned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook