Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Further Studies

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1

danago

Gold Member

Heya.
    Its still very early days for me, but im looking at the prospects of doing further studies after my BEng (Chemical and Process). I have only just finished my first year.

Anyway, at some stage during my life i would really like to go further with my studies, and perhaps complete a phD or atleast a masters in engineering. In general, is it better to go straight into postgraduate studies after completing a batchelors degree, or will i be better off going into industry to gain some work experience and then go back to uni at a later stage?

What are the benefits of completing postgraduate work? I guess it would mean a better salary (how significant though?), i would be more qualified for certain jobs and i guess more highly regarded as an employee in general. I have also considered going into academia after working in industry for a bit, which i know will require some postgrad work.

One last question; i have heard of a "EngD". How does this compare to a phD? Is one any more highly regarded than the other? Do they involve similar work?

Thanks in advance for the advice, and as i mentioned, i know it is still very early days for me, but it never hurts to know this information beforehand :smile:
    Dan.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted