1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Further Studies

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1

Gold Member

Its still very early days for me, but im looking at the prospects of doing further studies after my BEng (Chemical and Process). I have only just finished my first year.

Anyway, at some stage during my life i would really like to go further with my studies, and perhaps complete a phD or atleast a masters in engineering. In general, is it better to go straight into postgraduate studies after completing a batchelors degree, or will i be better off going into industry to gain some work experience and then go back to uni at a later stage?

What are the benefits of completing postgraduate work? I guess it would mean a better salary (how significant though?), i would be more qualified for certain jobs and i guess more highly regarded as an employee in general. I have also considered going into academia after working in industry for a bit, which i know will require some postgrad work.

One last question; i have heard of a "EngD". How does this compare to a phD? Is one any more highly regarded than the other? Do they involve similar work?

Thanks in advance for the advice, and as i mentioned, i know it is still very early days for me, but it never hurts to know this information beforehand :smile:
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted