Solve "cos(15)+sin(15)" Without Calculator

In summary, the conversation was about finding the values of cos(15)+sin(15) without using a calculator. The person attempted to use the double angle formulas for cosine to manipulate it into a half-angle formula, but was not successful. They asked for help and were told to use the last two equations to solve for cos(a/2) and sin(a/2), which would then allow them to find the value of cos(15)+sin(15).
RoryP

Homework Statement

Find the values of the following, without the use of a calculator,
cos(15)+sin(15)

Homework Equations

sin(A±B)= sinAcosB±cosAsinB
cos(A±B)= cosAcosB∓sinAsinB

The Attempt at a Solution

Without the use of a calculator i had to relate back to the 2 triangles which you get the most common values for sin, cos and tan. Namely,
sin(30)= 1/2
cos(30)= √3/2
sin(45)= 1/√2
cos(45)= 1/√2
sin(60)= √3/2
cos(60)= 1/2
sin(0)= 0
cos(0)= 1
sin(90)=1
cos(90)= 0
but i have found no use for any of these, also i didnt think tan was appropriate but I am open to correction! i tried going along the lines of gettting a trig function, with the same angle, to equal 1 so i could use the addition formulae but i had no success!
any help please guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
The double angle formulas for cosine can be manipulated to give half-angle formulas.
cos(2a) = cos^2(a) - sin^2(a) = 1 - 2sin^2(a) = 2cos^2(a) - 1
==> cos(a) = 1 - 2sin^2(a/2) and cos(a) = 2cos^2(a/2) - 1

Take the last two equations and solve for cos(a/2) in one and sin(a/2) in the other.

Great job using the common values for sin and cos to try to solve this problem without a calculator. One way to approach this problem is to use the sum-to-product formula for sin and cos, which states that sin(A)+sin(B) = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2) and cos(A)+cos(B) = 2cos((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2). In this case, we have A=B=15, so the formula simplifies to sin(15)+cos(15) = 2sin(15)cos(0) = 2sin(15). Since we know that sin(15) is a common value, we can use the fact that sin(30) = 2sin(15)cos(15) to solve for cos(15). We can then substitute these values into the original expression to get cos(15)+sin(15) = 2sin(15)cos(15) + sin(15) = sin(30) + sin(15) = 1/2 + 1/2 = 1. Therefore, the solution to cos(15)+sin(15) is 1. Keep up the good work using problem-solving skills to solve challenging problems without the use of a calculator!

What does "cos(15)+sin(15)" mean?

"cos(15)+sin(15)" is an expression that represents the sum of the cosine of 15 degrees and the sine of 15 degrees. It is a mathematical operation that combines the values of these two trigonometric functions.

Why is it important to solve "cos(15)+sin(15)" without a calculator?

Solving "cos(15)+sin(15)" without a calculator is important because it helps to develop your mathematical skills and understanding of trigonometric functions. It also allows you to verify your answers and check for mistakes when using a calculator in more complex calculations.

What is the process for solving "cos(15)+sin(15)" without a calculator?

The process for solving "cos(15)+sin(15)" without a calculator involves using the values of the sine and cosine of 15 degrees, which can be found on a trigonometric table or calculated using special formulas. Then, the values are added together to find the final result.

What are the applications of solving "cos(15)+sin(15)" without a calculator?

Solving "cos(15)+sin(15)" without a calculator has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the angles and sides of triangles, solve problems involving circular motion, and determine the position and velocity of an object in a given time.

Are there any tips for solving "cos(15)+sin(15)" without a calculator?

Yes, some tips for solving "cos(15)+sin(15)" without a calculator include memorizing the values of the sine and cosine of common angles, understanding the unit circle, and using trigonometric identities to simplify the calculation. It is also helpful to practice regularly and check your work for accuracy.