Fuse Breaking Current: Explained

In summary, minimum breaking current is the lowest current that can cause a fuse to disconnect. This value is usually higher than the rated current of the fuse and is important to consider when choosing a fuse to ensure it will not operate in this region.
adool_617
Dear all , i have an important question which i need answer for it , if you look at a catalog for fuses you will find the fuse rated current which for example is 10 A

and you will find a value called minimum breaking current and it is usually higher than the rated current for our example let's say about 15 A

so what is meant by minimum breaking current , does it means the fuses will not disconnected
unless a value higher than or equal 15 A which is higher than the normal rated current .

and what will happen if a continuous current flow for a long time with value 13 A which is higher than the rated current and smaller than the minimum breaking current

please help

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Low test current (I1) is defined as; the largest current the fuse can hold for one hour without breaking.
High test current (I2) ; the lowest current which breaks the fuse within one hour.

Not quite sure what minimum breaking current is, but i believe it must be I2. Not sure though, someone else might know.

If you se a graph like http://www.buildingdesign.co.uk/elec-technical/hager-t1/18-hager-4.gif" . I1 is 1.13A and I2 is 1.45A in a 1A fuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
well , actually after doing some search i found this:
the minimum breaking current is the minimum current that can cause the fuse to disconnect
for example assume the normal current for a fuse is 10 A and the minimum breaking current is 15 A , so between this region the fuse cannot completely trip or disconnect so when you choose the fuse you must make sure that you are not going to work in this region .

What is fuse breaking current?

Fuse breaking current, also known as interrupting rating, is the maximum amount of current that a fuse can safely interrupt without causing damage or exceeding its rated voltage.

Why is fuse breaking current important?

Fuse breaking current is important because it ensures the safety and reliability of electrical systems. If a fuse cannot handle the amount of current flowing through it, it may fail to interrupt the circuit and potentially cause damage or a safety hazard.

How is fuse breaking current determined?

Fuse breaking current is determined through testing and calculations by manufacturers. They take into account the fuse's materials, design, and other factors to determine the maximum current it can safely interrupt.

What happens if a fuse's breaking current is exceeded?

If a fuse's breaking current is exceeded, it may fail to interrupt the circuit and cause the fuse to blow. This could lead to equipment damage, electrical fires, or other safety hazards.

Can fuse breaking current be increased?

No, fuse breaking current is determined by the fuse's design and materials, and cannot be increased. It is important to select a fuse with a breaking current that is appropriate for the circuit's needs to ensure safety and reliability.