Fuse Wire Length and Capacity: A Discussion

In summary, the fuse capacity is determined by the temperature of the fuse wire, which is influenced by the power density being dissipated in the fuse wire. The power density is determined by the cross sectional area of the fuse wire, rather than its length.
Vagrant

Homework Statement

does the length of the fuse wire influence its cpacity? why?

Homework Equations

R=pL/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said no. I think it should because R depends on L

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
shramana said:

Homework Statement

does the length of the fuse wire influence its cpacity? why?

Homework Equations

R=pL/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said no. I think it should because R depends on LThanks for your time.
I think I would agree with your teacher. The fuse capacity (the largest current permitted to flow) depends on the temperature of the fuse wire. At a certain temperature, it melts and stops the current. Off hand, I would say that the temperature depends upon the power density being dissipated in the fuse wire (power / unit volume). The power dissipated is [itex]I^2R = I^2\rho L/A [/itex]

Now, the power per unit volume is:

[tex]P/Vol = P/LA = I^2\rho L/A(LA) = I^2\rho/A^2[/tex]

So it appears to me that the L falls out and the temperature depends entirely upon the cross sectional area of the fuse wire.

AM

Thanks. I think your answer makes sense.

1. What is fuse wire length and capacity?

Fuse wire length and capacity refers to the size and strength of the fuse wire used in electrical circuits to protect against overloading and short circuits. It is an important factor in ensuring the safety and functionality of electrical systems.

2. How does fuse wire length affect its capacity?

The longer the fuse wire, the higher its capacity. This is because a longer fuse wire has a larger surface area and can handle more current without overheating. However, the wire must also be thick enough to handle the increased current, otherwise it may melt or break before reaching its full capacity.

3. What happens if the fuse wire length is too short?

If the fuse wire is too short, it will have a lower capacity and may not be able to handle the required amount of current. This can cause the fuse to blow prematurely, leading to frequent power outages and potential damage to the electrical system.

4. How do I determine the appropriate fuse wire length and capacity for my circuit?

The appropriate fuse wire length and capacity for a circuit depends on factors such as the maximum current load and the type of circuit. It is best to consult a professional electrician or refer to electrical code standards to ensure the correct fuse wire is used.

5. Can I use a longer fuse wire to increase the capacity of my circuit?

No, using a longer fuse wire to increase the capacity of a circuit is not recommended. It is important to use the appropriate fuse wire length and capacity for the specific circuit. Using a longer fuse wire may result in overheating and potentially cause a fire hazard.