Fuseable Link Design for ATV Axle Shafts

• Thread starter machiner13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Link
In summary, the conversation is about designing a fusable link for an ATV's axle shafts. The goal is for the fuse to fail at 80% of the torque at which the axle would fail. The fuseable link body will be made of annealed and quenched 4140 alloy steel with a Bhn hardness of 380. The fuseable link will have a .390 inch diameter hole to receive a Grade 5 bolt, which will act as the fuse. The main concern is ensuring that the bolt is the weakest link and does not cause damage to the more expensive components. The recommendation is to use sacrificial shear-bolts and nylon-collared locking nuts to prevent damage to the shaft and sleeve.
machiner13
I am designing a fusable link for the axle shafts on my atv and I am having trouble calculating the torsional strength of my fuse. I want the fuse to fail at about 80% of what the axle shaft would fail at. The axle shaft is .875 inch diameter 4140 alloy steel that has been annealed and quenched to give it a Bhn hardness of 555 on the OD and 286 near the center. The fuseable link body will be made of 4140 alloy steel with a diameter of 1.00 inch inside of a collar with an outer diameter of 1.5 inches. Both peices of the fuseable link body will be annealed and quenched, then tempered to have a finished Bhn hardness of 380. The fuseable link body will have a .390 inch diameter hole that passes through the center of the 1.5 dia collar and the 1. dia to receive a Grade 5 bolt 3/8 diameter. The bolt will be the fuse. My question is, will the bolt be the weakest link and how do I convert the shear strength of the bolt into torque in order to compare it with the torque it would take to break the axle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you designing a shear-bolt? It sounds like that from your description. The typical response from designers of power equipment seems to be to over-design the bolts and mill channels into them to allow them to break cleanly at the boundary between the solid shaft and the sleeve. The trick is to make the bolts weak enough to fail (at those transitions) without badly damaging the more expensive components (drive shaft and driven shaft).

Shear-bolts are cheap, and you can carry spares. Axles are expensive, and tough to replace in the field. Shear-bolts are sacrificial by design. I can't help you spec the bolts, but I can guarantee that you don't want the bolts to "fail to fail" at anywhere near the torque at which the axle would fail. Poor design. Also, you should plan on using nylon-collared locking nuts to keep the milled grooves in the bolts properly aligned with the shaft/sleeve boundary. Good luck.

1. What is a fuseable link for ATV axle shafts?

A fuseable link is a safety feature designed to protect the ATV's axle shaft from damage in the event of an overload or excessive force. It is a specially designed weak point in the axle shaft that will break or "fuse" if too much force is applied, preventing further damage to the ATV.

2. How does a fuseable link work?

When a fuseable link is subjected to a force that exceeds its designated limit, it will break or "fuse" at that point, separating the axle shaft and preventing further damage. This helps to protect the ATV's more expensive and crucial components, such as the transmission and engine.

3. What are the benefits of using a fuseable link in ATV axle shaft design?

The main benefit of using a fuseable link in ATV axle shaft design is that it helps to prevent costly damage to the vehicle's important components. It also provides an added layer of safety for the rider, as it can prevent sudden and unexpected accidents caused by axle shaft failure.

4. How is the fuseable link designed for ATV axle shafts?

The design of a fuseable link for ATV axle shafts involves selecting a material and thickness that will break or "fuse" at the desired force limit. The link is then integrated into the axle shaft during the manufacturing process, usually at a point where it is most vulnerable to damage.

5. Can a fuseable link be replaced if it breaks?

Yes, a fuseable link can be replaced if it breaks. However, it is important to have it replaced by a professional or someone with expertise in ATV maintenance to ensure that it is done correctly and that the new fuseable link is capable of handling the same force limit as the previous one.