The HB-11 Plasma Pinch: A Solution to Fusion Energy?

In summary: I think fusion energy is the key to solving the world's energy problems.In summary, fusion energy holds the potential to solve many energy problems, but there are some challenges that need to be overcome before it can be commercially viable.
FourEyedRaven
Hi.

I have a growing interest in fusion energy. For a couple of very important reasons, it seems to me that fusion energy is a major scientific priority, if not the most important technology to try to develop right now.

I have a BSc and an MSc in math and I've always had an interest in theoretical physics research. I am learning physics again on my own for recreation. But maybe I could actually try to be more serious about it and try to contribute to this fusion energy effort in some way.

I would like to know the requirements and possible avenues for this. First of all, what physics do I need to learn to be of any use? Do I need to have a PhD to be of any use? Is there a need for theoretical research? And what about computer simulation?

I would apreciate your help.

4ER

Likes Leo Liu
Physics news on Phys.org
FourEyedRaven said:
First of all, what physics do I need to learn to be of any use?
Plasma physics. Fusion reactors are all about managing the plasma, the fusion part is easy if the plasma conditions are right. There is also a lot of material development for the walls and other components, R&D for the heating systems, tritium breeding and various other parts.
FourEyedRaven said:
Do I need to have a PhD to be of any use?
If you want to contribute to academia (all the important fusion reactors) then the next step after a MSc will be a PhD, there is not even a choice. I don't know what you did for your MSc in mathematics, how difficult it is to switch to physics will depend on that.
FourEyedRaven said:
Is there a need for theoretical research? And what about computer simulation?
What exactly do you consider "theoretical research"? There is not always a sharp line between theory and experiment.
There are a lot of computer simulations, yes.

Likes Leo Liu and FourEyedRaven
Thank you for the reply.

By theoretical research I mean to ask this: do we need theoretical breakthroughs about plasma physics to optimize the fusion reactors, or is it "just" a matter of better engineering and technology? I imagine that there could be better ways of describing plasmas, or manipulating them, that are yet unknown. And that would be the place for a theoretical physicist to try to apply new ideas.

FourEyedRaven said:
do we need theoretical breakthroughs about plasma physics to optimize the fusion reactors, or is it "just" a matter of better engineering and technology?
Here is a list of the threads in the Nuclear Engineering forum that have "fusion" in their title:

https://www.physicsforums.com/search/87472335/?q=fusion&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=106

In particular, this one may be of interest to you:
Commercially Feasible Fusion Reactor

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/commercially-feasible-fusion-reactor.939438/

:smile:

Likes FourEyedRaven
FourEyedRaven said:
I have a growing interest in fusion energy. For a couple of very important reasons, it seems to me that fusion energy is a major scientific priority, if not the most important technology to try to develop right now.

Why do you think the public will accept fusion energy when they have not accepted fission energy? A commercial fusion reactor will still produce significant amounts of radioactive waste, since the reactor has a finite life and the components of the reactor become radioactive through neutron activation. There is also a large inventory of radioactive materials on site, especially tritium which has significant biological impact when ingested. It is true that the radioactive waste from a fusion reactor is less long-lived than that from a fission reactor, but I don't think these quantitative arguments carry much weight with the general public.

Don't get me wrong, I am a nuclear energy proponent who has watched with dismay as fission energy has lost ground worldwide. I just fear that the opponents of fission energy will make the same arguments against fusion energy when you attempt to build a commercial reactor, and all of the hard work invested developing the technology will go nowhere.

phyzguy said:
Why do you think the public will accept fusion energy when they have not accepted fission energy? A commercial fusion reactor will still produce significant amounts of radioactive waste, since the reactor has a finite life and the components of the reactor become radioactive through neutron activation. There is also a large inventory of radioactive materials on site, especially tritium which has significant biological impact when ingested. It is true that the radioactive waste from a fusion reactor is less long-lived than that from a fission reactor, but I don't think these quantitative arguments carry much weight with the general public.

Don't get me wrong, I am a nuclear energy proponent who has watched with dismay as fission energy has lost ground worldwide. I just fear that the opponents of fission energy will make the same arguments against fusion energy when you attempt to build a commercial reactor, and all of the hard work invested developing the technology will go nowhere.

Maybe the public won't accept it at first. But I think the advantages of fusion energy in terms of safety from meltdown, radioactive polution, less CO2 emissions, energetic self sufficiency for countries, and cost, will eventually convince enough of the public to make it happen.

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu
But do you want to become very specialized in the hope that the public will come around? As John Maynard Keynes said "The market can stay irrational a lot longer than you can stay solvent"

Likes Dr. Courtney and Bystander
FourEyedRaven said:
Maybe the public won't accept it at first. But I think the advantages of fusion energy in terms of safety from meltdown, radioactive polution, less CO2 emissions, energetic self sufficiency for countries, and cost, will eventually convince enough of the public to make it happen.

Don't forget the 1% mass difference between starting material and end product(s), versus 0.1% for fission, and ten billionths of a percent for combustion*. Anyone interested in Einstein understands how that translates into fusion having a vastly superior energy output to fission (and especially combustion).

*Assuming combustion of methane in excess O2.

Marisa5 said:
Don't forget the 1% mass difference between starting material and end product(s), versus 0.1% for fission, and ten billionths of a percent for combustion*. Anyone interested in Einstein understands how that translates into fusion having a vastly superior energy output to fission (and especially combustion).

*Assuming combustion of methane in excess O2.
That comparison is not useful if you don't take the cost of fuel into account. Deuterium is much more expensive than the same mass of coal, for example, and tritium is even more expensive because you have to produce it yourself.

Likes Marisa5
mfb said:
That comparison is not useful if you don't take the cost of fuel into account. Deuterium is much more expensive than the same mass of coal, for example, and tritium is even more expensive because you have to produce it yourself.

I'm prepared to subvert my conscience and disregard your excellent point for the sake of propagandizing this topic to the public.

<3

Are the prices of deuterium and tritium fixed?

Are the prices of anything fixed?

Likes Dr. Courtney
Vanadium 50 said:
Are the prices of anything fixed?

At a dollar store.

Likes Vanadium 50
For a nuclear reactor (fission or fusion), I think the cost of the fuel is negligible. The capital cost dominates the cost of producing electricity.

The Leading companies in the UK is

https://www.tokamakenergy.co.uk/contact/
https://www.iaea.org/

See ITER, MAST-U,

the most recent and outrageous scientific article is http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0029-5515/55/3/033001
as the paper quotes the Q of fusion as well above 1!

I am sure you don't require mansplaining as you have a MSc... don't waste it!

In the US there is a company called General Fusion

Nucl. Fusion 58 (2018) 016039 is

And look up the China Science park, they have the current record for the highest net energy, Q

other than that check out CDTs in fusion energy

Take care

Likes FourEyedRaven
Not to be nit picky, but General Fusion is in Canada.

The article compares all the plasma H-D fusion reactors in the world and extrapolates all the parameters by regression then picks a sweet spot which turns out to be a reactor that can fit into a living room. Then it compares the Q (net energy in:net energy out) equation which is a function of these parameters with the Monty Carlo Code, which is a rich simulation taking into account geometries and materials of a 'common' blue print and graphs the Q vs reactor size on page 4 which looks like a tenuous fit of a plateau at Q=12 between radii 2.8m to 4m then diverges away from each other significantly either side. The development of the laser is similar, so many different materials and energy level theories, until it finally worked.

This paper was published this year, which is a good read as it describes the engineering challenges.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1741-4326/aa8c8d

London. Wednesday 28 November 2018 6:30pm Faster Fusion: Fact or Fantasy?
Dr Alan Costley, Tokamak Energy

http://www.iop.org

The reactor is the heat generating machine the plant is everything required to feed it, and auxiliary equipment

Dear FourEyedRaven,

Well it has been almost 2 years since our comments.

Just wanted to add that HB-11 Hydrogen Boron 11 plasma pinch plasmoid machine by focus fusion and other groups is an amazing demonstration of an astronomical phenomenon on Earth. Check out the youtube videos. The materials issue looks difficult.

proving the existence and smoothness of a solution to the Navier Stokes would increase the capabilities of the Monty Carlo code

Likes FourEyedRaven
KFM said:
Dear FourEyedRaven,

Just wanted to add that HB-11 Hydrogen Boron 11 plasma pinch plasmoid machine by focus fusion and other groups is an amazing demonstration of an astronomical phenomenon on Earth. Check out the youtube videos. The materials issue looks difficult.

proving the existence and smoothness of a solution to the Navier Stokes would increase the capabilities of the Monty Carlo code

Oh, ok. That's easy then! :oldbiggrin:

Thanks for the information. I'll be watching videos about it on YouTube.

KFM said:
Dear FourEyedRaven,

Can you link a couple of videos about this?
Thanks.

1. What is the HB-11 Plasma Pinch and how does it work?

The HB-11 Plasma Pinch is a proposed solution to achieving fusion energy. It involves using a high-powered laser to create a plasma pinch, which compresses a hydrogen-boron fuel pellet to create fusion reactions. These reactions release large amounts of energy in the form of heat and light, which can then be harnessed for electricity generation.

2. How is the HB-11 Plasma Pinch different from other fusion energy methods?

The HB-11 Plasma Pinch is unique in that it uses a hydrogen-boron fuel instead of the more commonly used deuterium-tritium fuel. This fuel combination produces significantly less radiation and radioactive waste, making it a safer and more sustainable option for fusion energy. Additionally, the process does not require any external heating, making it more efficient and cost-effective.

3. What are the potential advantages of using the HB-11 Plasma Pinch for fusion energy?

The use of hydrogen-boron fuel in the HB-11 Plasma Pinch has several potential advantages. These include lower radiation and radioactive waste, higher efficiency, and lower costs compared to other fusion energy methods. Additionally, the fuel can be produced from naturally occurring elements, reducing the need for costly and complex extraction processes.

4. What are the challenges and limitations of the HB-11 Plasma Pinch?

As with any new technology, there are still challenges and limitations to be addressed with the HB-11 Plasma Pinch. One of the main challenges is achieving the necessary laser power and precision to create and sustain the plasma pinch. Additionally, the technology is still in the early stages of development and will require further research and testing before it can be implemented on a large scale.

5. When can we expect to see the HB-11 Plasma Pinch being used for fusion energy?

The timeline for the implementation of the HB-11 Plasma Pinch for fusion energy is difficult to predict. While initial experiments have shown promising results, further research and development are needed to optimize the technology and address any limitations. It is estimated that it could take several decades before the HB-11 Plasma Pinch is ready to be used on a commercial scale.