Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fusion for students

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    What is the cheapest possible neutron detector? Are there any cheap detectors (for students)?

What is the cheapest possible X-ray detector?

What is the cheapest possible vacuum pump? How noisy are they? I mean: Does the pumping noise disturb the wall neighbours?

Are there any other ways to tell that the nuclear FUSION reaction has happened except the neutron gain?

How much does deuterium cost? Is it the only possible fusionable matter in the market a student can buy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2
    I need a vacuum of [tex]10^{-3}[/tex] torrs.

PS. Where can I buy deuterium lump (Pycnodeuterium)? I think it would be more easier to handle than deuterium gas.
  4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    Out of curiosity may I ask you; why do you wanna buy the stuff??
  5. Oct 24, 2008 #4
    Do you know Fusor? It's possible to build one, even high school kids have.
  6. Nov 28, 2008 #5
    Maybe you should ask a member of staff at your institution to supervise a group intending to build a inertial electrostatic confinement (IEC) nuclear fusion reactor, otherwise known as a "fusor". You might get a little funding.

I had a look at fusor.net and don't really like the cut of their jib - it sounds like their trying to sell IEC fusion as the true product (a bit like those bogus adverts on the telly for rubbish kitchen appliances with not one, two, but three free gifts; plus a set of steak knives ;-) ). And also they seem to be trying to undermine the efforts of the funded science community who are endeavouring to supply nuclear fusion as civilian power source, as if they have a chip on their shoulder about magnetic confinement being chosen over IEC designs.

A fusor project would be worthwhile, I think. You'd learn a lot and have a lot of fun putting it together. Good luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?