Fusion in the Sun: Neutrons or Neutrinos – What is Produced?

• Thread starter spideyinspace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion Sun
In summary, Both neutrons and neutrinos are produced in the sun's fusion reaction, with neutrinos being emitted in large quantities and neutrons being produced in smaller amounts due to their instability.
spideyinspace
does the fusion reaction in sun produce neutrons or neutrinos? i read websites of which one is saying neutron is produced but the other one says neutrino is produced..which one is correct..what other things would be produced when hydrogen fuses to produce helium in the core of sun?

Space news on Phys.org
Firstly, this isn't cosmology! Secondly, in answer to your question, I'd say both are produced. Perhaps http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~soper/Light/fusion.html link will help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
Firstly, this isn't cosmology! Secondly, in answer to your question, I'd say both are produced. Perhaps http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~soper/Light/fusion.html link will help you.

i thought this would be the right place to post my doubt,if its wrong,then sorry...the link which u gave says neutrinos are produced but u said both are produced..

Last edited by a moderator:
spideyinspace said:
i thought this would be the right place to post my doubt,if its wrong,then sorry...the link which u gave says neutrinos are produced but u said both are produced..

Well, yes, but Helium contains neutrons, doesn't it?

cristo said:
Well, yes, but Helium contains neutrons, doesn't it?

what i mean is, which one is emitted from sun,neutrinos or neutrons?

Neutrinos are emitted from the Sun in large quantities. However there are many many different nuclear processes occurring in the Sun and I would think that at least some of these also lead to neutrons coming from the Sun, though I have no idea of the flux of them (if there is any at all).

Isolated Neutrons are unstable however, and therefore would likely decay before they get very far. Therefore I wouldn't think that there would be an appreciable amount of Neutrons emitted from the Sun that reach the Earth.

Because the density of hyrogen in the sun is much like that of water, few neutrons would likely escape the sun. If they didn't decay (half-life ~ 10.23 min) they are readily absorbed by protons form deuterons, and deuterons are part of the pp-chain, and p + d => He3. Since free neutrons would readily decay, if there was a large quantity leaving the sun, the we'd measure a flux of anti-neutrinos from the beta decay.

What is fusion in the sun?

Fusion in the sun is the process by which hydrogen atoms fuse together to form helium, releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

How does fusion in the sun produce energy?

Fusion in the sun occurs when the tremendous pressure and temperature at the sun's core cause hydrogen atoms to collide and fuse together, forming helium. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

What are neutrons and neutrinos?

Neutrons and neutrinos are subatomic particles that are produced during fusion in the sun. Neutrons have no charge and are found in the nucleus of an atom, while neutrinos have very little mass and are able to pass through matter with little interaction.

Which particles are produced during fusion in the sun?

Both neutrons and neutrinos are produced during fusion in the sun. However, neutrons are only produced in the later stages of the fusion process, while neutrinos are constantly produced throughout the entire process.

What is the role of neutrinos in fusion in the sun?

Neutrinos play a crucial role in the process of fusion in the sun. As the fusion reactions release energy in the form of heat and light, neutrinos also carry away a significant amount of energy, helping to maintain the balance of energy within the sun's core.