1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fusion in the Sun

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    The radiation flux from the sun at the top of the earth's atmosphere is 0.139 J cm-2 s-1 at normal incidence. The earth is 1.50x108 km from the sun. Calculate:
    (a) the energy production in the sun in MeV/s
    (b) the rate of hydrogen consumption in g/s
    (c) how long hydrogen-burning can continue in the sun under the assumption that energy production continues at the present rate and that hydrogen burning will cease when 10% of the total hydrogen mass has been used up.
    The mass of the sun is 2.0x1033g.

I have determined that the energy production in the sun is 2.5e39 MeV/s by converting the flux to MeV/cm^2*s and multiplying that by the area of the sphere produced by the radiation with r=1.50x108 km. However, I'm not sure how to calculate b & c. I was thinking it may have to do with the pp1 chain?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For b, and c you need to know how much energy is emitted in each fusion event and how much hydrogen is consumed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook